• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket From 14 Years Ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Suzywill

We are CA residents, however, the ticket was for NJ. My husband and I were in Philadelphia for my father's funeral in October 1993. The day after while driving my mother to the Army base at Fort Dix, NJ we were stopped on the turnpike in Mansfield Township, NJ for speeding. My husband was driving. Since we were returning to Los Angeles a few days later, my mother said she would pay the ticket by check so we gave her the ticket.

To our surprise, just yesterday (1/9/07), my husband received a legal notice in the mail from the Mansfield Township, NJ Court that a warrant has been issued for his arrest for failure to appear in court. It also says that if he wants to save himself from the embarrassment of arrest he should pay the court $397 and can easily do this online.

This is the first notification he has ever received from this incident that occurred 14 years ago and we have lived at the same residence. My mother moved to CA in 1994, is 83 years old now and does not remember the incident.

How can we prove she paid it, and if we can't prove it, is he liable to pay $397? It's hard to remember this far off but I know the original ticket was not this much. Not only that, we are concerned he may be arrested here in CA. He has never been arrested nor has he ever had a warrant issued for his arrest. If anyone is aware, please advise or offer recommendations how to handle this situation.

The Occultist

The only way to prove she paid it is to find a bank statement or a copy of the check.

The increased fine includes the late fee.

You will likely not be arrested in CA for an NJ traffic warrant.

racer72

You will likely not be arrested in CA for an NJ traffic warrant.
There is a big but to this. Along with the warrant could be a suspension of your husband's driving priveliges. Both New Jersey and California are members of the Non Resident Violator's Compact, which means your husband's California driving priveliges are also suspended. He could be pulled over for a minor traffic violation and recieve an expensive ticket and have his vehicle towed. This has happened to others that have come to this forum for advice.

seniorjudge

Q: How can we prove she paid it, and if we can't prove it, is he liable to pay $397?

A: Easy solution: Pay it and keep a receipt forever.

Jim_bo

Does it really say " if he wants to save himself from the embarrassment of arrest he should pay the court $397 and can easily do this online"??? That doesn't sound like something that would be sent from a Government agency. What is the website that you can make payment at? Did you call the court in NJ to verify? Is it possible this is just a scam?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">