• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket 15 years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

screen9999

What is the name of your state? I live in Illinois but the ticket was in Indiana.
I recieved a speeding ticket in Indiana 15 years ago. Paid the $50 on the spot, recieved a reciept, was handed my license and was on my way. I currently live in Illinois and recently recieved notice from a collection agency that I owe money for this traffic violation. What are my options? Is there a statute of limitations on something like this?

Curt581

screen9999 said:
I recieved a speeding ticket in Indiana 15 years ago. Paid the $50 on the spot, recieved a reciept, was handed my license and was on my way. I currently live in Illinois and recently recieved notice from a collection agency that I owe money for this traffic violation. What are my options? Is there a statute of limitations on something like this?
The S.o.L. does not apply, since you stipulated to the citation. The facts of the case are not in dispute, this is a clerical error the part of one office or another.

Have you tried contacting the Clerk of Court in the jurisdiction that issued the citation?

Do you still have the receipt?

grasmicc

screen9999 said:
What is the name of your state? I live in Illinois but the ticket was in Indiana.
Yes, and it is expired. Regardless, they would have to sue you to collect, an that's not reasonable over $50.

Just send the company a letter, certified mail, saying that it is not currently a legally collectable debt. Keep it short. In the letter, tell them "Even if I owed this debt - which I never did, because I paid the ticket immediately upon receipt - I certainly wouldn't be paying it after 15 years. As you are no doubt aware, it's not even legally enforceable at this point. Do not call me or send me any more letters regarding this debt. I'm aware of my rights under FDCPA and willing to enforce them if necessary."

As I've said to many other people, it's not like you have to pay someone just because they sent you a letter demanding the money. You don't, really, even have to respond - although sending the letter above will allow you to sue them if they continue to contact you about it. Even if you owed them this $50 (legally, which you don't), and it was last week, you could just tell them to get lost and wait for them to sue you (Note: actually, in light of the fact that it is a speeding ticket rather than, say, a cable bill, you probably wouldn't want to do blow it off if it were less than a couple years old).

With the instant situation, if they were to sue you, and win, they'd get a judgment ordering you to pay them $50. Then they'd have to find a way to pay their attorney the $1500 he charged them to handle the case ;).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Curt581

grasmicc said:
Yes, and it is expired. Regardless, they would have to sue you to collect, an that's not reasonable over $50.

Just send the company a letter, certified mail, saying that it is not currently a legally collectable debt. Keep it short. In the letter, tell them "Even if I owed this debt - which I never did, because I paid the ticket immediately upon receipt - I certainly wouldn't be paying it after 15 years. As you are no doubt aware, it's not even legally enforceable at this point. Do not call me or send me any more letters regarding this debt. I'm aware of my rights under FDCPA and willing to enforce them if necessary."
Screen999, if you take this "advice", you WILL be sorry.

Contact the Clerk of Courts to find out what happened to your payment, or if there was something else you were supposed to do (like appear in Traffic Court) and neglected to do. If you play certified letter games, this could blow up in your face.

I'd also check with the Illinois and Indiana DOT's, to make sure it hasn't affected your driver's license in either state. Most states suspend driving privileges for non-appearance or failure to pay forfeiture.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">