• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket in 20

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ipxnsv

Hello all,

I live in GA. and i got clocked doing 79 in a 55 today, im almost sure the cop clocked the guy behind me when i changed lanes. regardless .. thats 24 over.. i am 20 years old.. 21 in a few days.. what should i do? No-lo? call a lawyer?

lwpat

NOLO is usually not a good option. The violation still goes on your record for insurance purposes.

Hey There

Information To Help You Decide What To Do

11-03-07
ipxnsv,

At your local library you should be able to check out a book published by NOLO on How to beat your ticket.
Georgia police officers can use Pacing, Aircraft, VASCAR or Radar to judge the speed of a car. These methods aren't always accurate or clock the right car.The book mentioned above explains how errors occur in each of these methods and what questions the officer should be asked at trial.
All defendants who are charged with a misdemeanor in Georgia have the right to a jury trial. If the court that hears the case doesn't hold jury trials, then the right must be waived OR requested where the case will then be transfered to a court that hears cases with a jury.
Your traffic ticket should note whether the charge is a misdemeanor or not.

If Georgia has Discovery you could request the officer's notes and the method he used to judge your speed. This request must be hand delivered or mailed by someone OTHER than you. Instructions on how to do this can be found by going to Google and typing in
Discovery for Traffic Tickets. A form to use to request Discovery can be found by going to the website: Help! I Got A Ticket! This website is specific to CA. but some of the information can be applied to other states.
Some lawyers will give a consultation for free or for a modest fee.$50.00? There is no obligation to retain the lawyer after the consultation. Looking in the phone book or checking on the internet might produce the name of a lawyer who does this in your area.
In addition to the above:
Reading a traffic ticket carefully, picking up a court phamphlet if one is available, checking on COURT PROCEDURE with the clerk , or on a website (if the court has one) will help you decide how to handle your traffic ticket.
Regards,
Hey There

ipxnsv

Special suspension provisions for drivers under 21 years of age.
The driver's license of any person under twenty-one (21) years of age shall be suspended if he or she is convicted of any of the following:

* hit and run,
* aggressive driving,
* racing,
* D.U.I.
* using a motor vehicle in fleeing or attempting to elude a peace officer,
* reckless driving,
* underage purchasing or knowingly possessing any alcoholic beverage while operating a motor vehicle,
* misrepresenting his age in any manner whatever for the purpose of obtaining any alcoholic beverage,
* misrepresenting his identity or using any false identification for the purpose of purchasing or obtaining any alcoholic beverage, or
* any offense for which four or more points are assessable under O.C.G.A. § 40-5- 57 (e.g. passing of a school bus, improper passing, or speeding in excess of the speed limit by 24 m.p.h. or more).

im not convicted UNTIL i go to court right? so does that mean these wont apply for me?

lwpat

Depends on whether the DMV goes by date of conviction or date of offense. Call them and ask. Your real problem will be the insurance increase over the next three years.

Hey There

Information is served .The ball is in your court.

11-4-07
ipxnsv,

In Georgia speed limits are ABSOLUTE. If the method the officer used to determine the speed of a car was faulty or if the officer mistook one car that wasn't speeding for a car that was, then the traffic ticket has been issued in error.
There are three choices for a plea in court. Guilty, Nolo Contendere(used to protect from a lawsuit from an accident) and Not Guilty.
Not all traffic violators are found guilty. Some cases are dismissed.
In Georgia if the defendant is found guilty at the first trial on a traffic violation he can request a NEW TRIAL(Appeal de novo). This gives a defendant two chances to get the case dismissed.

Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">