• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blacky1

State is Arizona

I drive a very built black Z28 w/ a corevette engine (5.7 littre, 350 LS1 - 400RWHP), anyway I'm sitting at this light on my way to work and notice a cop sittin' behind me. So I figure, I'm going to mess w/ him. The light turns green and I shoot off like a rocket (didn't spin the tires) right up to the speed limit and level off. I'm runnung dual flowmasters w/ dual cats, so it probably sounded like I was going much faster than I actually was. Anyway, Boom, the lights blow up. He pulls me over (he didn't want to play) and I ask what'd I do? He says "do you know how fast you were going"? I said yeah, 45. He said "Well I had you going 55" and proceeded to ticket me. We got to talkin' about cars and how he used to build them when he was younger and what not. Really nice guy.

I have a radar detector, it didn't make a sound. He said he clocked me and when I asked to see, he said no (and I know they don't have to show you for safety reasons). I know for a fact I wasn't speeding because I knew full well he was right behind me from the get go and I wasn't about to go over the speed limit, not to mention my radar didn't make a sound. What kind of shot would I have beating this in court? I know my speedomer is calibrated correctly as it shows the exact speed I am going everytime I pass one of those signs that say "your speed is".

Last edited:

racer72

If your trying to impress anyone with your Camaro, forget it. I have a 66 GTO, 400 cubic inches with 435 HP and 650 ft/lbs. of torque. And she's bright red, everyone knows when I am coming. Oh, and your ticket? Nothing in your post suggests it is invalid or defective. I would suggest talking to a local attorney.

CdwJava

Cop right behind you ... you step on the accelerator and ramp up to speed quickly with loud exhaust ... and you are surprised you got stopped?!?

Your radar detector not going off is irrelevent. Even if he did not use radar, he could have estimated your speed by pacing or by visual estimation. If you want to challenge it, go to court.

And if you want to avoid this kind of hassle in the future, maybe you should consider engaging common sense before you decide to "mess" with the cop behind you.

- Carl

Blacky1

Re:

Swwet car. GTO's are awesome, but tanks. 66 is the year they started having issues with weight though. Mines runnin' 0-60 in 3.4 secs, 12.9 sec quarter @ 112mph, top speed of 171 at 5500rpms. Think your car may be a little to heavy to keep up.

cdw- you're right, It was early and I was in a good mood thinkin' maybe he wanted to play. Guess not. Growin up, we used to mess with the cops all the time, seemed to be better sports about it back then. Oh well, live n' learn.

racer72 said:
Oh, and your ticket? Nothing in your post suggests it is invalid or defective. I would suggest talking to a local attorney.
"Invalid" is a good word to use, here, in that whatever the judge says determines the validity of a ticket. Still, the guy did say "I wasn't going over the speed limit". That was in his post, and it does suggest that the ticket was written for reasons other than his going over the speed limit. Innocence of the stated charge, if that is the reality, as suggested, does not invalidate a ticket, but the charge is still an invalid charge.

CdwJava

Sure it's valid. It may be incorrect, but there's nothing invalid about it on its face.

And all because he says he was not going over the limit does not mean that he was NOT exceeding the limit. He believes he did not exceed the limit, and the officer apparently believed he DID exceed the limit.

Time for court.

- Carl

racer72

Blacky1 said:
Swwet car. GTO's are awesome, but tanks. 66 is the year they started having issues with weight though. Mines runnin' 0-60 in 3.4 secs, 12.9 sec quarter @ 112mph, top speed of 171 at 5500rpms. Think your car may be a little to heavy to keep up.

cdw- you're right, It was early and I was in a good mood thinkin' maybe he wanted to play. Guess not. Growin up, we used to mess with the cops all the time, seemed to be better sports about it back then. Oh well, live n' learn.
I would you check the weight of your Camaro, they are not light cars. I drove race cars for many years and used Camaros on an occasion. They are not any lighter than Chevelles and Novas. My GTO weighs a bit over 3300 pounds, the advertised weight of a 78 Camaro is 3418. Give me a curvy road and your Camaro might as well stay on the shoulder. It has a NASCAR style front suspension with coil over shocks, the rear is a 4 link with coil overs and I have tubular anti sway bars at both ends. I can take a nearby freeway offramp that has a 25 mph limit at well over 3 times that speed without problem. At a rally cross last summer I finished 2nd out of 4 cars. I lost to a Viper by .3 seconds and beat a couple of Corvettes. What really upset those guys is my car has an automatic transmission, they all have manuals.

Blacky1

RE: Racer

Sweet. Mine is a 1994. Did you not like the 389? Those are bad a** engines. I noticed in your post above you have a 400. You're right I did some research and my car weighs right at 3,400lbs. Got it as a project car, thinkin about running NOX straight through the BBK 58mm throttle body, just upgraded to an 82mm descreened MAF, cold air intake and had the computer reprogrammed for maximum torgue and horsepower. Needless to say, I dont get good gas mileage at all. I'm runnin dual sways as well. How do you like the tubulars? I'm a little leary, afraid they won't hold up as well as solids. Granted you're saving a little weight with the tubulars.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">