• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

make321

What is the name of your state? CA

hi,
i got a speeding ticket 4 week ago and my court date is near. I have receive a letter from the court yet so i call them and ask and they say my name wasnt on their system. what should i do? this is my first time getting a speeding ticket and i kinda dont know what to do.

CdwJava

You show up at the location specified on the citation and at the specified time. That's what you do. If there is no citation filed, you might be able to move to have the citation dismissed.

Be sure to have the clerk sign or stamp your cite or give you some proof of your appearance, just in case.

- Carl

make321

thanks for the reply Carl.

So i show up to the court and sign in and let the clerk mark my cite to prove that i show you for court.then i go and sit and wait tel they call my name?

CdwJava

thanks for the reply Carl.

So i show up to the court and sign in and let the clerk mark my cite to prove that i show you for court.then i go and sit and wait tel they call my name?
Each court can be slightly different. I'd go to the court, check in, find out if you are on the calendar, and ask the clerk what you can do. You might have to sit in the courtroom until the other proceedings are done. In some courts I have seen the judge call for anyone who has not been called, and that might be where you can stand and let him or her know why you are there.

The specific procedure does vary, and I am not well-versed in that end of things, so I really can't say specifically what is best to do. But, as long as you attend court on the day written on the citation, you should be okay.

A caveat: If your address as listed on the cite is incorrect, or, your address that the DMV has is incorrect, you may have been given a new cite date or had information forwarded to you that you are unaware of because of that. Make sure that your cite and DMV info reflects your current address.

- Carl

make321

once again tank Carl for the quick reply.

the address on the citation are correct.I hope they will dismiss my citation.
thanks for all your help Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">