• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alfizzle

What is the name of your state? florida

First let me apologize if this post seems long and drawn out....

I live in Miami,FL. and got a speeding ticket in Flagler County Fl. Here are the details

I was traveling south on I95 on the right hand lane (on a 3-4lane highway)doing about 76 mph (i even slowed down on approaching the underpass because i know trooper like to hide there)and I was clocked by an officer parked in the center of the grass (left of the interstate). i was clocked at 101 mph at 1061 feet away through 3 lanes of cars... Anyways to sum it up i know i was not traveling at 31mph over the posted speed of 70mph, and now im required to attend a mandatory court for this. I have been researching on ways to challenge this ticket in court without an attorney cause im broke:mad: one of the interesting things i came across was a request for discovery, which to my understanding requires forms which i am unable to obtain and dont know what the legwork generally consists of. I then read of a "motion for discovery" which i believe must be in court. my question is once i am in court how to i make the motion for discovery? do i just shout hey ! gimme a motion for discovery:eek:? is there paperwork to fill out? and what might be a response from the prosecution? I really dont want to look like a fool in court and I really want my case heard. the things im thinking of requesting are officers training records, equipment service history, specifications of the device used. Is there anything else i need? In closing i just want to say that sometimes people ARE innocent and its a shame the lengths they have to go to for justice to be served. Thanks in advance for any advice. I really hope you can help me!!

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? florida

First let me apologize if this post seems long and drawn out....

I live in Miami,FL. and got a speeding ticket in Flagler County Fl. Here are the details

I was traveling south on I95 on the right hand lane (on a 3-4lane highway)doing about 76 mph (i even slowed down on approaching the underpass because i know trooper like to hide there)and I was clocked by an officer parked in the center of the grass (left of the interstate). i was clocked at 101 mph at 1061 feet away through 3 lanes of cars... Anyways to sum it up i know i was not traveling at 31mph over the posted speed of 70mph, and now im required to attend a mandatory court for this. I have been researching on ways to challenge this ticket in court without an attorney cause im broke:mad: one of the interesting things i came across was a request for discovery, which to my understanding requires forms which i am unable to obtain and dont know what the legwork generally consists of. I then read of a "motion for discovery" which i believe must be in court. my question is once i am in court how to i make the motion for discovery? do i just shout hey ! gimme a motion for discovery:eek:? is there paperwork to fill out? and what might be a response from the prosecution? I really dont want to look like a fool in court and I really want my case heard. the things im thinking of requesting are officers training records, equipment service history, specifications of the device used. Is there anything else i need? In closing i just want to say that sometimes people ARE innocent and its a shame the lengths they have to go to for justice to be served. Thanks in advance for any advice. I really hope you can help me!!
**A: what was the posted speed limit and how fast were you going?

alfizzle

I wrote somewhere in there that i was traveling 76mph, and the speed limit was 70 mph
I was clocked at 101 mph at 1061 feet away through 3 lanes of cars

alfizzle

since you refuse to tell us the truth, I am refusing to help you.
What are you talking about??!! What kind of reply is that? Who said im not telling the truth? What reason would i have to lie to you about this?? Why are you assuming that im lying anyways? If you just dont know, or dont want to help just say so.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What are you talking about??!! What kind of reply is that? Who said im not telling the truth? What reason would i have to lie to you about this?? Why are you assuming that im lying anyways? If you just dont know, or dont want to help just say so.
(i even slowed down on approaching the underpass because i know trooper like to hide there)
The reason why you conceal the full truth (lie) is that you are fishing to find the answers you want to hear.

alfizzle

No, you are making an assumption. I dont want to hear a specifc response based on a lie, i want to hear the advice from the perspective of a professional. Why would i lie and get the info not pertaining to my actual situation? I would be setting myself up for defeat.Its fine that you are not going to help me, but you shouldnt act like that based on your perception of my motives. In regards to your quote, ive always slowed down on approach to an overpass because i usually drive pretty fast. the whole story on what exactly transpired that day was just to give you an idea of the situation, but the real questions were pertaining to the court date, and how to file a motion for discovery. I find it hard to believe that you actually read my initial post.

Zigner

Doesn't work that way guy. You come on here asking for FREE advice. You gotta answer the questions posed ;)

I've had enough. My only advice to you is to SLOW DOWN!

alfizzle

You gotta answer the questions posed
I answered everything you asked, i dont know what the hell is the issue why you think im lying but whatever. thnaks anyways for your time and for at least replying to my posts.

Zigner

Borrow. Hire attorney. Cheaper in the long run.

I also don't see how HG assumed you were lying. :confused:
OP says he slowed down to 76 mph. HG asked how fast he was going. OP refuses to answer.
Ozark - your advice is correct...but our OP is only trying to find the answers he wants to hear.

Hey There

Filing for Discovery Information a few clicks away

10-10-07
alfizzle

To file for discovery you simply request in writing the information you want the officer to provide. This can include a copy of the officer's notes, a copy of the front and back of your traffic ticket, the method used to determine your speed etc. (Was the speed estimated by the officer who cited you by pacing, aircraft, VASCAR or Radar?All have their flaws, both on the equipment used and being used incorrectly.)
The request for discovery can be delivered in person or mailed(certified, return receipt best) to the officer who cited you and to the D.A. This must be done by someone other than you who needs to sign a proof of service (delivered in person) or proof of mailing.
Copies for your records are handy to have on hand.
To find detailed information on Discovery go to Google and type in Discovery for Traffic Tickets . Click on the first 5 websites
You can also type in Discovery for traffic tickets in Florida and click on FAQ for Traffic Tickets & Traffic Courts.
Help!I Got A Ticket! website although a California based website has instructions on Discovery as well as a form which you can download.
Your local librarian may be able to direct you to a book published by Nolo specific to Ca. traffic tickets that also has a form that can be copied and used in filing for discovery.
Is your mandatory court appearance an arraignment where you enter your plea and have a trial date assigned?
Have you contacted a court clerk for a continuance if the appearance in court is for arraignment ? A continuance would give you more time to prepare for your day in court.
Regards,
Hey There

alfizzle

Hi and thanks for the response:) The detection method was LADAR or laser. As for the court im not sure, but i think its a trial. In any case i truly appreciate your time and thnaks for the info

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">