• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ticket_victim

What is the name of your state? New York
Hello,
I got a speeding ticket for 73 in 55mph in town of Claverack, NY on a state parkway; the officer wrote offence code 1180-B:speed over state limit- 55mph, but in the description/narrative of the offence he wrote speed in zone which is offence code 1180-D; Is there any chance of contesting this ticket, He also has the wrong zipcode for the court where i have to mail my plea. The address is a PO BOX with a zipcode which comes up for another town, not the town he wrote on the ticket, I will call the court and ask the correct address, but was just wondering if there is any hope for dismissal etc.

Thank You for your timeWhat is the name of your state?

lwpat

usually in NY you can get it reduced if you show on your court date. Another option is to plead not guilty and then try to negotiate with the ADA.

You Are Guilty

I got a speeding ticket for 73 in 55mph in town of Claverack, NY on a state parkway; the officer wrote offence code 1180-B:speed over state limit- 55mph, but in the description/narrative of the offence he wrote speed in zone which is offence code 1180-D
How did you come up with that conclusion?
VTL 1180 said:
(d) 1. Except as provided in subdivision (g) of this section, whenever
maximum speed limits, other than school speed limits, have been
established as authorized in sections sixteen hundred twenty, sixteen
hundred twenty-two, sixteen hundred twenty-three, sixteen hundred
twenty-seven, sixteen hundred thirty, sixteen hundred forty-three,
sixteen hundred forty-four, sixteen hundred fifty-two, sixteen hundred
sixty-two-a, sixteen hundred sixty-three, and sixteen hundred seventy,
no person shall drive in excess of such maximum speed limits at any
time.
The only "zones" in 1180 are school zones, which your ticket clearly is not referencing.
Is there any chance of contesting this ticket, He also has the wrong zipcode for the court where i have to mail my plea. The address is a PO BOX with a zipcode which comes up for another town, not the town he wrote on the ticket, I will call the court and ask the correct address, but was just wondering if there is any hope for dismissal etc.
Not on those grounds, no.

ticket_victim

How did you come up with that conclusion?
The officer circled the code 1180B on the ticket and then wrote speed in zone in the description, So I checked at: http://www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov/finreporting/jcef/vtltitlevii.pdf

the violations and the codes corresponding to them and found "speed in zone" had a code of 1180-D but on my ticket the code was 1180-B which corresponds to speed over state limit- 55mph, so I am not sure if this is even considered a valid point to bring up.

But thanks to every one for their replies, it was helpful.

Ticket_victim

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The officer circled the code 1180B on the ticket and then wrote speed in zone in the description, So I checked at: http://www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov/finreporting/jcef/vtltitlevii.pdf

the violations and the codes corresponding to them and found "speed in zone" had a code of 1180-D but on my ticket the code was 1180-B which corresponds to speed over state limit- 55mph, so I am not sure if this is even considered a valid point to bring up.

But thanks to every one for their replies, it was helpful.

Ticket_victim
First - you are not a "victim", you are a recipient.

Second, the text is just informational. What is important is the code section.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">