• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bullit70

What is the name of your state? north Carolina. ok just got pulled over for doing 84 in a 55. there are two things. one how much trouble am i in. and i know this is a common thing but my throttle got stuck open. this is my first offense. is it worth fighting of should i just pay the fine and what are my options on taking a drivers course to get it off my record? if you all need any more info let me know

JETX

ok just got pulled over for doing 84 in a 55. there are two things. one how much trouble am i in.
A lot.

and i know this is a common thing but my throttle got stuck open.
Yeah, right??
Two responses:
1) And what kept your hand from reaching up and turning off the key??
2) And of course, you are prepared to bring a mechanic with you to court to testify as to your throttle claim, right??

and what are my options on taking a drivers course to get it off my record?
Contact the court, but I would be surprised if they would remove this violation (almost THIRTY MILES PER HOUR over the limit!!).

Just curious.... what were the EXACT charges (citations) you were given??

The reason I am asking is... according to the NC DOT site (below), you stand a real good chance of suspension:
In addition to criminal penalties that the court might mandate, conviction of certain traffic offenses will result in the loss of your driving privilege.

Your driving privilege will be revoked for at least 30 days if you are convicted of:
* driving any vehicle more than 15 mph over the speed limit, if you are driving at a speed higher than 55 mph.

Your driving privilege will be taken for 60 days if you are convicted of:
* a second charge of speeding over 55 mph and more than 15 mph above the speed limit within one year; or
* speeding plus reckless driving on the same occasion.

The DMV can also suspend your license for the following:
* Two convictions of speeding over 55 mph during the same year;
* One conviction of speeding over 55 mph and one conviction of reckless driving within a year;
* A conviction of willful racing with another motor vehicle, whether it is pre-arranged or unplanned.
* A suspended court sentence or part of a sentence mandating that you must not operate a motor vehicle for a specified period of time; and/or
* A conviction for speeding over 75 mph.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_services/drivershandbook/Chapter3/Suspensions.HTML

bullit70

A lot.

Yeah, right??
Two responses:
1) And what kept your hand from reaching up and turning off the key??
2) And of course, you are prepared to bring a mechanic with you to court to testify as to your throttle claim, right??

Contact the court, but I would be surprised if they would remove this violation (almost THIRTY MILES PER HOUR over the limit!!).

Just curious.... what were the EXACT charges (citations) you were given??

The reason I am asking is... according to the NC DOT site (below), you stand a real good chance of suspension:
In addition to criminal penalties that the court might mandate, conviction of certain traffic offenses will result in the loss of your driving privilege.

Your driving privilege will be revoked for at least 30 days if you are convicted of:
* driving any vehicle more than 15 mph over the speed limit, if you are driving at a speed higher than 55 mph.

Your driving privilege will be taken for 60 days if you are convicted of:
* a second charge of speeding over 55 mph and more than 15 mph above the speed limit within one year; or
* speeding plus reckless driving on the same occasion.

The DMV can also suspend your license for the following:
* Two convictions of speeding over 55 mph during the same year;
* One conviction of speeding over 55 mph and one conviction of reckless driving within a year;
* A conviction of willful racing with another motor vehicle, whether it is pre-arranged or unplanned.
* A suspended court sentence or part of a sentence mandating that you must not operate a motor vehicle for a specified period of time; and/or
* A conviction for speeding over 75 mph.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_services/drivershandbook/Chapter3/Suspensions.HTML
in answer i did shut down the motor but he tagged me before i could slow down. on the ticket it didn't say anything about reckless driving just said 84 in a 55. also my license is a California license ( military stationed out here ) is there a way for reasonings or a way to get it reduced?

FlyingRon

Unless there is something seriously wrong with your brakes in addition to your throttle, it's not going to wash. Firm foot on the brakes is going to slow down the car even with the throttle wide open.

bullit70

ok hey guys, it wasn't a car it was a bike. also i took it to the dealership and told me that i had a bent handlebar and a cracked throttle sleeve. he did tell me that would make the throttle lock up, and have a slow throttle return speed. i will have all this in writing will it be enough?

dworrill

Ask the ADA for a 69 - 55 and save your license as long as you have not gotten an over 55mph ticket in the last 12 mos.

OP85063

ok hey guys, it wasn't a car it was a bike. also i took it to the dealership and told me that i had a bent handlebar and a cracked throttle sleeve. he did tell me that would make the throttle lock up, and have a slow throttle return speed. i will have all this in writing will it be enough?
If the dealership can give you proof that there's found to be a defect at the time you were riding, the court will consider that. Explain the concept of a bike moving 84 MPH and hitting the front brake what will happen.

Explain how you shut the engine down and show repair papers from the dealership explain the issue and what it could cause.

You can't be help responsible for something you have no control over. Providing you did shutdown the engine.

You didn't cracked throttle sleeve yourself did you?

Get all that in writing from the dealership and the court will show some mercy on you.

FlyingRon

This makes even less sense even on a motorcycle. Crikes, the panic mode on a bike is to squeeze both levers. One is the brake, the other is the clutch. The clutch disconnects the engine from the wheels the brake stops it. Further, right there next to the throttle is a little red button on most that stops the engine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">