• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SCHOOLZONE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS STATE LAW

I got a ticket last month for speeding in a school zone. The cop pulled me over for driving 33 on a 20mph (when children are present). There were no children present. I went to court last week and plead guilty and I was prepared to pay for the fees but the judge did not give me that option. He said that if I plead guilty, I would pay $298 for the tickets + some court fees which comes out to a total of $400 something ballpark, would stay on my record, have a conviction on my record and they will send a letter to Secretary of State to determine whether I should get suspended or not. He suggested that I get a lawyer to give me an opportunity to defend myself. I left the court speechless because I didn't realize that it would be this serious. I just wanted to pay for the ticket & the court fees but how come the judge would not give me that option? Is this usually the protocol for speeding in a school zone?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS STATE LAW

I got a ticket last month for speeding in a school zone. The cop pulled me over for driving 33 on a 20mph (when children are present). There were no children present. I went to court last week and plead guilty and I was prepared to pay for the fees but the judge did not give me that option. He said that if I plead guilty, I would pay $298 for the tickets + some court fees which comes out to a total of $400 something ballpark, would stay on my record, have a conviction on my record and they will send a letter to Secretary of State to determine whether I should get suspended or not. He suggested that I get a lawyer to give me an opportunity to defend myself. I left the court speechless because I didn't realize that it would be this serious. I just wanted to pay for the ticket & the court fees but how come the judge would not give me that option? Is this usually the protocol for speeding in a school zone?

**A: there is more to this story.

FlyingRon

Have you had two other tickets in the past seven years?
Was there an accident involved this time?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">