• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chinggisk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I recieved a speeding ticket yesterday from a New York state trooper for doing 83 mph in a 65 mph zone. I was guilty, I was polite to the officer and admitted to knowing the limit and knowing that I was speeding. I am a Florida resident living in New York for the summer. I return to Florida for good on August 8th, the date on my ticket that I have to return it by/on is August 13th. I'm a college student that can't afford a lawyer, though I'm not sure that would a cost effective option even if I could.

I am concerned about this affecting my insurance, and of course if possible would like to get the smallest possible fine, though the insurance is my primary concern.

Remembering that I will be leaving the state soon, can I request that my fee/charge be reduced, or that I take a traffic safety class to keep my insurance from being affected? How do I do this? It is my understanding that to do so I have to plead 'Not Guilty', is this correct? But if I do that don't I have to appear in court in person?

Another note - I recieved another speeding ticket that I plead guilty to 2 years ago for doing 80 mph in a 65 mph zone from a Virginia state trooper, but from what I understand that shouldn't be on my driving record (the officer told me that VA does not report speeding tickets to FL); so as far as New York is concerned, this should be my first offense. Would that help me at all?

Thank you for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">