• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket 50 in a 40 -impossible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sophiapumpkin

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I was driving down a hill during icy , freezing weather , and made a left onto another road after stopping at the intersection. About a half a block later a pickup went flying by me in the lane left of me (I was in the right lane) and then I heard a siren so I pulled over , waiting for the police to go past me . (I assumed they were chasing this truck)Instead they stop behind me and ask me if I know the speed limit on this particular road. I say that I do and the officer then informs me that I was clocked at 50 in what is a 40 mph zone. I always put my car into first gear when going down the hill I had just gone down when it is snowing or icy out as this puts significant drag on the engine with out having to use the brakes .
My transmission has been sticking and though not very fast it is definitely safe to drive--- it just sticks somewhat , especially in severely cold weather.
Anyway , I am sure I couldn't have been going more than 30 or 35 mph at BEST because I was still in first gear when I pulled over. When I informed the officer of this he said something about issuing me another ticket for "faulty equipment" (I think?) because my transmission sticks! And there was a small amount of frost on my rear windshield where I had missed with the scraper that he was going to give me a ticket for --for "obstructed view"!
Doesn't admitting that I was in first gear nullify his first claim that I was doing 50? How do I fight this in court? Will I owe a lot more if I lose? I know someone who fought a ticket for running a stoplight and lost and wound up paying $275 to the court instead of the initial fine. I also know of people making payment arrangements with the clerks and somehow paying a small amount monthly instead of just sending in the money all at once kept the tickets off of their records, but I'm not sure why this is. The most important thing is keeping it off of my record.

sukharev

I don't know about other tickets, but the speeding one sounds BOGUS. That said, if you try to fight it, then you need to know how. Read up on discovery, judicial notice, etc.

1) What was used to clock your speed (take a look at the ticket)?
2) What were the statutes for all 3 tickets?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">