• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket 84 in 55, Fairfax VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wmbbmw

I got the first speeding ticket in my life today. I was caught 84 when the speed limit is 55. I was initially not speeding when the following car kept pushing me and nearly all cars were driving over 70. I tried to follow the other car ahead and didn't realize that I was speeding that much. The police caught me and charged me "speeding" instead of "reckless speeding" as put on the ticket. The police told me I could prepay the charges.

I hold a North Carolina driving liscence and plate. My question is that is my ticket a regular ticket or a reckless ticket(driving over 20 is considered reckless driving in VA)? Is it decided by the police or the court? Will the regular ticket increase points? Do I need a lawyer? Do I have a chance to get the charges reduced and avoid points?
Advises will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

wmbbmw

Other Info

The violation law is 82.1.6/46.2. And the police was riding a Motocycle and using a LIDAR.

lwpat

If you pay the ticket your NC license will be suspended. In order to save your license you will need to get it reduced to a 70 in a 55, something that is unlikely to happen without an attorney. Here is a link on how VA works and you were very fortunate to avoid the standard reckless ticket.

Virginia Speeding Ticket

wmbbmw

lwpat said:
If you pay the ticket your NC license will be suspended. In order to save your license you will need to get it reduced to a 70 in a 55, something that is unlikely to happen without an attorney. Here is a link on how VA works and you were very fortunate to avoid the standard reckless ticket.

Virginia Speeding Ticket
Thank you very much for your quick response.
Do you mean the VA police will definately report my case to NC DMV? My ticket is not a reckless one? Suppose it is not a reckless ticket, how many points that would be? According to the www.speedingticketcentral.com, speeding 20 MPH above the speed limit would result 6 points. Then that makes no difference with a reckless ticket, right?
Thank you again for your advise.

Yes, your ticket will be reported back to NC and in this case, your licence will be automatically suspended.

"Speeding in excess of 75 miles per hour (mph) when posted limit is less that 70 mph. (Misdemeanor)"

When reported back to NC, this will be 4 insurance Points which results in a 90% increase in your insurance:

NC Trafficpoints

Once convicted, it is very difficult and expensive to mitigate in NC.

Recent NC example 6 mo suspension for 80 in 65

You really need a lawyer now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">