• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket after an accident.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kul4na2

What is the name of your state? Kansas.
I was recently involved in a single car accident. Weather conditions were extremely bad (17+ inches of snow) but since I was on military orders I had to drive. While doing about 45m/hr on a highway in which the posted minimum speed is 40m/hr and max is 70m/hr I hit an uneven patch of ice and lost control of my car. About half an hour later a cop shows up and gives me ticket for "driving too fast for the conditions". The cop doesn't even get off the car to check out my car, nor the skid marks. Is there any way I can contest this? My main purpose is to AVOID having the ticket put on my record.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kul4na2 said:
What is the name of your state? Kansas.
I was recently involved in a single car accident. Weather conditions were extremely bad (17+ inches of snow) but since I was on military orders I had to drive. While doing about 45m/hr on a highway in which the posted minimum speed is 40m/hr and max is 70m/hr I hit an uneven patch of ice and lost control of my car. About half an hour later a cop shows up and gives me ticket for "driving too fast for the conditions". The cop doesn't even get off the car to check out my car, nor the skid marks. Is there any way I can contest this? My main purpose is to AVOID having the ticket put on my record.

My response:

Highly doubtful. The fact is, you were "driving too fast for the conditions". Under the conditions you describe, a "reasonably prudent person" would not have exceeded 30 or 35 mph.

IAAL

K

kul4na2

I'd also like to stress that many other cars were driving much faster than I was. I feel like I was given a ticket just because I was in an accident.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kul4na2 said:
I'd also like to stress that many other cars were driving much faster than I was. I feel like I was given a ticket just because I was in an accident.

My response:

Yes. There's no doubt about that either. "But for" the fact that you were driving too fast for the conditions, the accident - - in all probability - - would not have occurred.

So, I have no doubt that the accident was the "cause" of you getting the ticket.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">