• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket from automated camera

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LStanka

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I was mailed a speeding ticket from an automated camera. I am planning on contesting the ticket as it was not me driving the car. I have been researching this and have found conflicting reports. Some websites say that I am not legally required to identify the driver at the time of the infraction. Others are saying that if I do not, I run the risk of having my license taken away. Just wondering if my license really can be taken away or what the possible consequences could be of not identifying the driver.

Also, any other advice on fighting this automated ticket would be appreciated. Regardless of the fact that it was not me driving, I object to these tickets on principle.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I was mailed a speeding ticket from an automated camera. I am planning on contesting the ticket as it was not me driving the car. I have been researching this and have found conflicting reports. Some websites say that I am not legally required to identify the driver at the time of the infraction. Others are saying that if I do not, I run the risk of having my license taken away. Just wondering if my license really can be taken away or what the possible consequences could be of not identifying the driver.

Also, any other advice on fighting this automated ticket would be appreciated. Regardless of the fact that it was not me driving, I object to these tickets on principle.
this may be at the discretion of the judge. if the driver was obviously not you, such as a 400 pound frame of an asian female with spikey short hair driving while you are a 110 pound ponytailed male driving then by all means, say it isn't you. some judges may actually require you to rat out the driver.

LStanka

Actually, in the photos, it is impossible to identify the driver at all. There is no outline of any frame or any face shot.

Isis1

That's the issue. :( I don't want to rat out the driver, but I don't want the points on my license.
well, there's your pickle, my friend. either your "friend" who drives your car takes responsibility for his/her actions, or you take the responsibility of loaning out your car.

sticky, huh?

Isis1

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
i so hate that metaphor. i love cake. how on earth can i eat it if i can't HAVE it!!! hmmm chocolate....oh snap!! that reminds me! i have cheesecake!! now i know why i bought the white zinfendal!!!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I apologize!

It's funny, I was thinking that very thing as I was typing but my fingers ignored my brain.

Why does a person have to prove they didn't commit the crime. Doesn't the state have to prove a person committed one?

I thought that was a basic rule.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
They can apparently prove that the violation occurred and the assumption is the the registered owner was operating the vehicle. Legally, I don't know how that works out.

In New York City, for instance, there is camera enforcement for red light violations at certain intersections. These violations are issued against the vehicle, basically like a parking ticket, so nothing gets charged against a particular driver, no points, etc. Seems like a fair system.

Each jurisdiction is different, obviously. I suggest you consult an attorney if you are looking to explore your various options in depth, especially if your desired end result if a complete dismissal of the charge. I wouldn't be optimistic though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">