• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket in Binghamton NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justticketed

I was ticketed by a NYS trooper for driving at 76 mph on a 55 mph zone on I81. The officer gave me the ticket and asked me to call/mail the response to the court.
The sub section which is imposed is 1180(B).This sub section if I plead guilty would result in 6 NY points. I would appreciate if some one can guide me how to proceed further. How many points will transfer on my NJ driving record?
This is my first ticket in any state.

Any help would be highly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Maestro64

It looks like NY has been busy handing out ticket to out of staters lately.

From what I know NJ does assign point to ticket received in another state if that state reports that ticket to them. I believe it will be 2 points no matter what the ticket is. NY tickets have another side affect. If you get too many tickets in NY they will suspend your driving privileges in NY, even if your home state does not. Also, I believe that NY is also charging a yearly fee to remove those points, not sure if it applies to out of state drivers.

However, NJ Insurance assigns their own points for tickets in spite of what the DMV does.

Here is some reading for you

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission
http://www.njsave.com/nj-insurance-faq.aspx#a15
http://www.redlichlaw.com/traffic/faq.html

and it appears that NJ also have surcharges for too many points

Last edited:

justticketed

Should I plead guilty or shouldn't I

Thanks for the valueable information. THis forum rocks

Looking for some guidance as this is my first moving violation

Should I plead guilty or fight it out?
As 1180(b) may leads to 6 points in NY.

Maestro64

Personally any and all tickets are worth the fight. However, if you plan to walk and ask for mercy then you probably will not win what you hope for. You have to be prepare to fight it on all grounds. Most likely it was a radar ticket and there all sort of errors that could have lead to the speed he measured. Also it could have been LIDAR which it too has it sets of issues.

Than you could always hire a Lawyer to fight the ticket, they can usually plead it down to some lessor offense or get it dismissed all together. It all depends on what you willing to do or pay not to have this show on your record.

Last edited:

justticketed

What if I fight the case?

Thank you for the guidance.
What if I fight the case instead of hiring an attorney.
I have a clean record. The ticket does say respond in 48hrs if you do not want to plead guilty. Does it matter if I am late?

If I fight myself what could be my options ?
I heard if it is 6 points in NY then annual surcharge needs to be paid despite NJ licence I would not want to do that in any case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">