• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket, but i don't own a car...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bink1227

What is the name of your state? TX

hi, i really hope someone has some advice for me. i was driving my boyfriend's car when i got pulled over for speeding (my boyfriend was with me). the officer asked for proof of insurance and was satisfied seeing the insurance card in the glove compartment, which did not have my name on it, and he did not give me a ticket for not having my own policy. now i want to take defensive driving and i am very confused as to what i should send them as proof of insurance. i've been driving for less than a year (and i'm 21...pitiful :)), and i have no intention of getting a car.

-would it be okay if i just sent in a copy of the insurance card the officer saw?

-would this ticket go against my boyfriend's insurance policy if i can't take defensive driving?

-if this insurance card doesn't work, what do i have to do to be able to take defensive driving to keep this ticket from raising someone else's premiums?

-will the court fine me for not having my own insurance, even if i don't own a car?

this is for galveston county, tx. i'm not sure if the laws in texas cities vary much. please, any help would be appreciated.

thank you for your time,
sarah

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">