• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket.. Citation has incorrect key information.. reason for dismissal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atticus936

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hi, so I was driving on the highway in the express lane (no traffic whatsoever) and was caught speeding (going 23mph over the limit, I honestly thought the limit was 10mph higher on such a major highway but that's my fault for not noticing the signs). Worthy to note there was 1 car in front of me going at around the same speed, but I guess I was the chosen one to get pulled over. The officer ended up giving me 6mph over as I have a very clean driving record and I guess he was feeling nice that morning. However, in the comment section he wrote "Unlawful speeds (Required Speeds). Measured initial speed at 88mph - very light traffic volume in area observed".

Upon inspection of the citation, I noticed he put my dad's driver's license number, name, address, birthday, height, etc. which is strange because he obviously wasn't there. It just so happens that my dad and myself share the same name and address (I'm in my mid 20s, and I have moved many times in the last few years like college and different jobs and still consider that address my permanent address). So, technically, the citation is only incorrectly states the drivers license number, height, and birthday, even though we know the entire set of information was wrong but since we share a name and address it checks out. He must have gotten the information from pulling up the car registration information, which is registered to my dad's name. Is this technicality of incorrect key information enough grounds to get the ticket dismissed? I'm considering hiring a traffic court lawyer for this so that I don't have to deal with the driving school or pay the fine (I believe that most TC lawyers charge less than the stated fine). I wanted to hear people's opinion on whether this is a successful tactic in court. I read somewhere that a last ditch effort is to plead that "if the officer wasn't careful enough reading the details of the drivers license, etc. then it puts into question whether he was careful enough to read the speed tracking device". Do you guys agree? Thanks in advance!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think that if you don't reach out to have this error corrected, then your dad is going to be burdened with your inattention and subsequent citation.

atticus936

I think that if you don't reach out to have this error corrected, then your dad is going to be burdened with your inattention and subsequent citation.
I don't intend to leave this unattended... my question is regarding whether I should take it to court to try to get it dismissed or pay it, in either scenario I don't think my dad would be burdened with anything since it will be resolved one way or another...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't intend to leave this unattended... my question is regarding whether I should take it to court to try to get it dismissed or pay it, in either scenario I don't think my dad would be burdened with anything since it will be resolved one way or another...
If your dad doesn't make sure this is taken care of, then he IS going to be burdened by this. You have no standing to request to have this dismissed, and if you simply pay it, then it will be on HIS driving record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">