• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket cited under wrong code section?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Parker12

What is the name of your state? IA

I posted previously regarding this matter. Under more investigation I found I had possibly been cited a speeding ticket in a area that had no speed limit signs posted under a code law that gave me some room to say this might be a problem.

I was cited under a law stating that "Designating highways or portions of highways as snow routes. When conditions of snow or ice exist on the traffic surface of a designated snow route, it is unlawful for the driver of a vehicle to impede or block traffic if the driving wheels of the vehicle are not equipped with snow tires, tire chains, or a nonslip differential."

This made no sense to me originally as I was cited for speeding in a place with no snow, that was not a snow route, or a highway. Obviously once I realized I had been charged with something that didn't apply to me at all I plead not guilty.

I recieved a letter in the mail today correcting the citation to another code section regarding implied speed laws.

Is there anything I can do regarding this? The ticket I originally recieved was for going 35 in a 25 where there was no speed limit posted. I'm well aware of implied speed limit laws however there is no clear law defining the area I was ticketed only that it would be defined by local city law and as far as I can find according to local law it has not been defined as of yet.

Thanks for any advise. How to respond to 'change of code' charge.

seniorjudge

Parker12 said:
What is the name of your state? IA

I posted previously regarding this matter. Under more investigation I found I had possibly been cited a speeding ticket in a area that had no speed limit signs posted under a code law that gave me some room to say this might be a problem.

I was cited under a law stating that "Designating highways or portions of highways as snow routes. When conditions of snow or ice exist on the traffic surface of a designated snow route, it is unlawful for the driver of a vehicle to impede or block traffic if the driving wheels of the vehicle are not equipped with snow tires, tire chains, or a nonslip differential."

This made no sense to me originally as I was cited for speeding in a place with no snow, that was not a snow route, or a highway. Obviously once I realized I had been charged with something that didn't apply to me at all I plead not guilty.

I recieved a letter in the mail today correcting the citation to another code section regarding implied speed laws.

Is there anything I can do regarding this? The ticket I originally recieved was for going 35 in a 25 where there was no speed limit posted. I'm well aware of implied speed limit laws however there is no clear law defining the area I was ticketed only that it would be defined by local city law and as far as I can find according to local law it has not been defined as of yet.

Thanks for any advise. How to respond to 'change of code' charge.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=294483

Q: How to respond to 'change of code' charge.

A: Plead guilty and pay the fine or plead not guilty and have a trial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">