• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket in city of Elmont NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sclaib

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New YorkWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I received a ticket for going 47mph in a 30mph zone at 2000 hrs,(i'm not denying this) my name was incorrectly spelled even though the officer had my drivers license in hand within inches from his face. Also, the officer wrote on the ticket he clocked me at 280 ft at which time other vehicles were also on the road around mine. I plan on pleading not guilty via mail, but should I also submit a written statement also requesting dismissal due to the incorrect name spelling & how he was able to clock my vehicle accurately at 280ft with other surrounding vehicles whereupon he couldn't spell my name correctly when the license was inches from his face. Are there any rules/laws governing this in Nassau county.

racer72

The misspelling does not prevent you from presenting a valid defense to the citation and is not cause to dismiss the ticket. You don't state the method used to determine your speed but many modern radar guns are very accurate up to 1000 feet and beyond and it only takes a fraction of a second to get a reading on any one specific car. Either come up with something better or hire an attorney, nothing in your post suggests the ticket will be dismissed.

sclaib

speeding ticket in elmont, ny

Thank you for your candid reply it was helpful. I needed an honest 3rd opinion.

Banned_Princess

Nassau County Police are on there job. Even more so then Suffolk, and Suffolk gets paid more.

Maybe you can hope he doesnt show for court.

You cant have a ticket dismissed because your name is wrong. They do have to write it by hand, there is going to be some mistakes. Good luck with that!

Wait. Elmont is in Queens. I bet officer wont show for court, They are too busy for that. lol

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Seems strange that the officer would write the lock-in distance on the summons - I have never seen that before. Maybe you are misinterpreting what you see.

Don't submit anything with the ticket - it's a waste of time. You say you don't dispute your speed, so what are you looking to do? The points you raised are not a justification for speeding nor do they render the ticket invalid in any way.

sclaib

Seems strange that the officer would write the lock-in distance on the summons - I have never seen that before. Maybe you are misinterpreting what you see.

Don't submit anything with the ticket - it's a waste of time. You say you don't dispute your speed, so what are you looking to do? The points you raised are not a justification for speeding nor do they render the ticket invalid in any way.
Yeah believe me I wish I was misinterpreting, it clearly states 280 ft on ticket. Yeah a first time for evrything, next time I won't drive my X5 :) LOL.

sclaib

Nassau County Police are on there job. Even more so then Suffolk, and Suffolk gets paid more.

Maybe you can hope he doesnt show for court.

You cant have a ticket dismissed because your name is wrong. They do have to write it by hand, there is going to be some mistakes. Good luck with that!

Wait. Elmont is in Queens. I bet officer wont show for court, They are too busy for that. lol
yeah wishful thinking, but I like that positive aura :). yeah elmont is in nassau cty, its borderline qns and nassau depending upon location. tks for the reply.

Maestro64

how he was able to clock my vehicle accurately at 280ft with other surrounding vehicles
It is called LIDAR and at 280ft which about a football field away it not hard to get a good LIDAR reading on a single car even with other cars around you.

The only question, since it was at night there was not way for him to know the make or color of the car. all he is seeing is head lights coming at him and most likely he is somewhat blinded by head lights. so after he took the reading and jumped into his car did he identify and isolate the correct car.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The only question, since it was at night there was not way for him to know the make or color of the car. all he is seeing is head lights coming at him and most likely he is somewhat blinded by head lights. so after he took the reading and jumped into his car did he identify and isolate the correct car.
You just love making ridiculous assumptions don't you? Who said the officer was outside of his car?

That distance is nothing. It is very easy to maintain a visual on the car and stop the right one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">