• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket/clean Driving Record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

IamJUSTcurious

What is the name of your state? Maryland, U.S.A.

i have just received a speeding ticket driving on an interstate highway (80 in a 65 zone). i have a clean driving record and it has been that way for a few years. i would hate for my clean driving record to have a blemish now due to my lack of concentration. what shall i do? if i go to court, what is the chance i will get out of there without any points going on my record, considering im 38 and have managed to keep my driving record clean for a few years now? if i do go to court, what shall i say to accomplish getting out of there without getting points? i know i was wrong, but it would be nice if i could somehow manage to avoid ruining my clean driving record which i have worked so hard for. also, when & if i go to court, will the judge be able to tell if i hve been issued any warnings in the past? thank you for your time. have a nice evening.

I

IamJUSTcurious

speeding ticket/clean driving record

i think we do. when i was younger i went to traffic school after receiving a speeding ticket. (after going to court). if i were to go to court and explain that i know i was wrong but i have worked hard to get my driving record clean and to keep it that way for a few years now, will i be able to ask the judge to send me to traffic school instead of getting points?

stephenk

call or go to the court and ask if traffic school is available. Typically you pay the same fine for speeding plus additional charges to go to the school. You dont have to plead guilty or anything like that. You just choose that option instead of fighting the ticket.

I

IamJUSTcurious

Speeding Ticket/Clean Driving Record

on the back of the ticket, there are three options: 1) To stand trial. 2) To pay instead of appear in court (I think if i chose this i automaticly get points). 3) To request a waiver hearing: guilty with an explanation. I think option three would be my correct choice. When i go I can explain that i was guilty, but i have worked hard to get my driving record clean and keep it that way. At that time I suppose i can request attemding a driving improvement class in leiu of receiving poiints. Am I correct by chosing option 3? Thank you for all of your advice thus far. I really do appreciate it.

stephenk

call the traffic court and ask which option allows you to go to traffic school. If traffic school is not available, best option would be #3 and hope the judge reduces the fine.

I

IamJUSTcurious

hello. i have chosen the option to appear in court. When it is my turn to speak to the judge, here is what I am planning on saying. does this sound ok? if not, what shall I say instead?
"I am guilty. I had something on my mind that day and I was not using my cruise control as I usually do. I have worked hard to get my driving record clean. I have worked hard to keep it that way for a few years now. I was hoping as a result of my clean driving record, you would grant me leniency in this case by either waiving any points which would be assessed to my driving record, or by waiving any points which would be assessed to my driving record in lieu of attending a driving improvement class. I have worked hard to get my driving record clean and keep it that way. I would hate to see all of that hard work and efforts go to waste because of my lack of concentration."

does that sound ok. if not, what shall I say instead. thank you for your advice in thei matter thus far. i really do appreciate it. my court date is Friday, January 31, 2003

M

Meenatoad

First check if your county has an infraction diversion program. Ours does and it keeps your record clean. You pay a 'fee' to enter the program which is equal to the fine. Then you're put on probation for one year. If you get another infraction in that time, you pay the fine for the new infraction AND the old one. Check that first before you go to court. I'm not certain about this, but if you go to court and lose, you will be paying for additional court costs. However, if you do go, at least try to beat it instead of begging for mercy. Seems that would just anger the judge.

I

IamJUSTcurious

YES, I CALLED AND ASKED. DRIVING SCHOOL IS AVAILABLE HERE. I DON'T THINK I CAN JUST ASK FOR IT INSTEAD THOUGH. THAT IS WHY I AM THINKING OF TRYING TO EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED AND HOPE THEY DECIDE TO SEND ME TO DRIVING SCHOOL OR NOT AT ALL. I CAN NOT TRY TO THINK OF A WAY TO GET OUT OF IT. I WAS SPEEDING. THERE WERE NO OTHER CARS AROUND ME. I THINK IF I TRY TO MAKE UP SOME STORY IT WILL BE OBVIOUS THAT I'M LYING, WHICH WOULD BE WORSE I THINK THAN TRYING TO EXPLAIN.

stephenk

Call back and ask what you need to do to go to traffic school. Most times the clerk will just mail you the forms to fill out and inform you of the amount you need to pay. No court appearance is necessary.

I

IamJUSTcurious

when i originally spoke to the clerk, i was told that in order to go to driving school, i had to appear in court. it was the clerk who originally told me to say something similar to this: "I am guilty. I had something on my mind that day and I was not using my cruise control as I usually do. I have worked hard to get my driving record clean. I have worked hard to keep it that way for a few years now. I was hoping as a result of my clean driving record, you would grant me leniency in this case by either waiving any points which would be assessed to my driving record, or by waiving any points which would be assessed to my driving record in lieu of attending a driving improvement class. I have worked hard to get my driving record clean and keep it that way. I would hate to see all of that hard work and efforts go to waste because of my lack of concentration". i have created this statement for myself to use in court. i just don't know if it is too wordy, or if there is a better way of getting my point across. i wish here it was as easy as requesting to go to driving school. i wish i did not have to go to court. but in order to get to driving school i have to appear. she said when i ask for leniency to mention nopoints in exchange for no driving school or exchange for driving school. she said the judge may just waive everything due to my clean driving record. i just want to make sure i go in there with a brief yet effective statement. hopefully when i leave i will have nopoints assessed on my driving record with or without driving school. my lack of concentration that day, by the way, was i had just heard i was being laid off. i found out i was losing my job.

stephenk

Okay, now I see. If you cant do traffic school just by asking the clerk, then you do need to go to court on the date of the hearing. Once at court check in the courtroom clerk and ask if traffic school is available. Typically, the clerk will announce to the courtroom that traffic school is avaiable for those that qualify (you do).

If you are required to appear before the judge, keep your statement short and sweet, dont argue, and ask if traffic school is available.

good luck.

I

IamJUSTcurious

:) :D :p :cool: :rolleyes:

thank you for your advice and guidance. I went to court today. I received 1 year probation. NO POINTS! NO TRAFFIC SCHOOL! I think i did pretty well. My clean driving record helped. thank you once again. have a nice day !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">