• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket.. couple questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

intel8052

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

So today I was on my way home from work, and there was an officer in a SUV pulling a trailer who was in front of me, consistently changing speed between 65-75ish. I had my cruise control set at 70mph (speed limit 65) unless I had to slow down for him. Suddenly he pulled over as if he was going to get off the highway, then got on his brakes and suddenly I was next to him. Before I was even past him his lights were on and I was pulling over.

Well when he got my license/registration he asked why I thought i could pass a state trooper doing 72mph. I said I didnt have a reason and had my cruise control set. He then had me get out of my car and pointed out his trailer/vehicle markings asking me at every one what it said. I told him MA state trooper when he asked. He then had me get back in my car, and wrote me up for no seatbelt and for doing 75 in a 65... when not 10 min before he had said 72... and I was doing 70. He checked "clocked, radar, estimated" in the box. I'm not sure if radar works to the sides of police vehicles so I cant tell how true radar would be (did he just have it on at the time and decided to check the box?) Then once I left he proceeded to follow me off the highway onto another highway and then down a number of back roads. Maybe he was going there anyway, I don't know nor does it matter.

So my question is... what can I do? He verbally stated one speed and wrote me up for another when I am very aware my speedometer didn't read any higher than 70 (was just touching the low end of 70). He was traveling the same speed until he got on his brakes and I had no time to react w/o giving the guy behind me (quite close to me I might add) a brake job and risking an accident. Also, he didn't fill in his name, instead he put his officer ID number and I cannot read his signature so I do not know his name. My record is clean for the past 3.5-4 years other than this. He also wrote "LL PMC" just above the speed I was traveling, not sure what that means. Can anyone help?

Edit: Also at the bottom of the citation there is hte "violator/agent acknowledges receipt of citation" area... is he supposed to have me sign there? He did not have me acknowledge it as I thought they were supposed to do.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

His statement means squat to you. Besides, just because you passed him at 72, doesn't mean he didn't observe you at 75 either before or after. Even "low seventies" is speeding in a 65 zone. You want to plead that down, I bet it makes no difference in fine or points anyhow.

The only thing that not signing the ticket MIGHT get you out of is failure to appear. It doesn't change the fact that you are charged.

PMC is almost certainly Posted Maximum Speed. LL ? Left Lane?

Orcons

You don't have to sign it even though there is a space for it.

Sounds like the trooper was having a bad day and it was your bad luck to run into him. Not much you can do about that now.

I don't know how the radar works, it seems a little fishy that he could get a read on you when he is pulling a trailer which presumably would have blocked the radar if it was in the car and pointing backward. I am sure if this is feasible someone will come along to explain the technology. I also am not sure how accurately he could clock you if his speed was varying especially with him in front of you and that trailer in between again.

I would fight it - do some research on what he has to show relative to the radar (e.g., calibration records, training, etc.) and also do a request for both sides of his copy of the citation - that will give you his notes which is what the magistrate will have to go on.

Good luck.

I_Got_Banned

Well when he got my license/registration he asked why I thought i could pass a state trooper doing 72mph.
The statement you made there means the following to me:

Why do you think you can pass a state trooper who is doing 72mph?

Hypothetically:
If he is driving, checks his speedometer, sees it at 72, looks in the rear-view mirror sees you approaching... catching up to him... Now you're almost side by side with him, checks his speedometer again and he's still at 72mph, then in his mind, there is absolutely no way that you could be doing 70... You have to be driving faster that 72 for any of that to happen.

Honestly, if the speed limit is 65 and you see an officer on the same road that you're on, if you decide to drive 66, then you're setting yourself up to be cited. I'm not really sure why that is difficult to understand!!! :rolleyes:

To do that while not wearing a seat-belt, that's the little scrumptious fruit on top of the cake! (No pun intended... I just like fruits, that's all).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">