• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket-Court Appearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

koritora3

What is the name of your state? NC
I have to appear in court for a speeding citation. (Class 2 Misdemeanor)
I've never been to court for anything and was wondering what to expect.:confused:
What are my plea options,possible punishments,etc?

koritora3

Thank you.:)
I am 32. And was going 64mph in a 45mph zone.
Was on a Hwy and there was no traffic.
(I don't know if that matters)
:)

nursetams

Show up and be humble

I'm no lawyer, but I've been to traffic court twice. Both times it was very brief. The judge asks how do you plead. Be honest...if you know you were speeding then plead guilty. Both times I attended the hearings the points and fees were greatly reduced ( this in my opinion for just showing up). I hope this helps. It's not worth sweating over, the whole thing lasted 5 min both times!! Good luck...

lwpat

if you know you were speeding then plead guilty.
Which is absolutely the worst thing you could do. A 15+ violation in NC results in a license suspension and a large mandatory increase in your insurance premiums. Go in before your court date and talk to the ADA and see if you can negotiate for a Prayer for Judgment. This keeps the ticket off your record.

LSCAP

I agree, but also, realize if you get the Prayer for Judgement it stays on your license for six months. Then if no second offense, drops off.

You usually get a chance to talk to the DA. Sometimes, not until you are before the Judge. Negotiate means , Telling the DA, its your first time, you're sorry, can you get a prayer for judgement.

There are times when you can't, if not they might let you plead to nine miles over the limit. The insurance can't raise your rates at nine over. So it's still a good deal.

I know from personal family experience. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">