• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket in Covington(County Wyoming),NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guts_19202002

Speeding ticket in Covington,NY...please any help appreciated

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi friends,

I have got a speeding ticket for driving at 71mph on a 55 mph zone. The officer just gave me the ticket and asked me to mail it to the court. He said that once I mail the ticket, the court will get back to me with the fine/penalty.

I live in PA and I have PA's license. I was just driving through NY state. Usually I have heard from my friends in NY that if you get stopped for speeding the officer issues you the ticket there itself. But I in my case I have to submit the ticket to the court. My assumption is since I have a PA license I was told to do this. any insight on this???

I am planning to plead GUILTY and submit the form. I have no idea as to what fine will the court impose on me. Also this is my first ticket so I am completely unsure about this issue.

Do you guys think that I will be getting points on my license??? if yes, then how many???....also any rough idea as to what will the fine in $$$ be???...

Also do u think that pleading guilty is a good option and just pay the fine???

Please guys help me out with this issue. I just came to US like a year ago and I am not sure about the rules and regulations in US.

Any help would be really appreciated!!!

Thanks once again for your time and reading this post and have a good day!!

Last edited:

Maestro64

First, no points on your PA license, PA does not assign points to out of state tickets.

Next, tickets in NY very by location. Depending on where you were when you got the ticket, you could be in the jurisdiction of what is known in NY as Village Courts, this are everything but formal or follow any sort of normal judicial process, some of these courts are run by the mayor or the garbage collector for the town. Because this you kind of at their mercy.

Just follow the instructions the officer said, make sure you make copies of everything and send the ticket and any fine you might pay via registered mail with return receipt this is the only way you can prove they got what you sent. Then keep copies of everything and ask them to send you something acknowledging they got your payment. Do not trust some of these small town court to be organize not loose your stuff.

guts_19202002

hey first of all thanks for replying to my post!!

I am relieved that points do not get transferred from NY to PA. Thanks for that info... Is there any way that you can verify that the points have not been added to your license???...I mean by contacting the NY State office or PA office or by contacting ur insurance company??

Also do u have any rough idea as to what will the court reply to me when I send them my ticket??..Is it only the fine mentioned on the reply or there is some other info regarding the points or any other issue???

I will definitely keep the copies of the ticket I send them and also I will send it as a registered mail, so that I will be sure that they received my ticket and payment...

any other info u would like to put a light on???

Once again thanks a lot for replying and helping me out. I sincerely appreciate ur help

Have a good day!!

Maestro64

never contact your insurance about any ticket or inquire about points, that could lead them to look into your driving record which they might not otherwise have done.

You can always request your PA driving record from PennDOT and pay $5 to get a copy sent to you.

here is the information you need about Out of state tickets

http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-dlc.pdf

Lastly I have no idea what the court in NY will do when you send back the signed ticket.

guts_19202002

hey man,

once again thanks a lot for ur help....while I was browsing the web searching for some info regarding this issue, I saw the pdf link u just gave me. It actually clearly specifies about the points not getting transferred from NY to PA. So I am assuming that my driving record in PA should be clean.

One more thing, have u ever encountered this kind of case where u have to submit the ticket to court and the court gets back to u???....i mean do they always screw up once we pay the ticket and always try to get money out of u even u have paid the ticket???

thanks man for all the info till now!!!

Maestro64

Lets put it this way, anything is possible and if you search this forum and others you'll see a theme of people asking questions about tickets they believe was paid and all of sudden finding out there it no record of it being paid.

I do not want to panic you, just make you aware what you could be dealing with in NY. If your ticket does not go to one of these village courts then you are probably okay, but keep in mind if the court screws up and does not maintain your records of payment, the burden will fall on you to prove you paid.

The New York Times > New York Region > Interactive Feature > Broken Bench: Town and Village Justice

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/25/nyregion/25courts.html?_r=1

The nytimes website may require to to sign up to view this stuff.

I personally never a problem, but i tend to keep all my records just in case. Also, I never dealt with a NY traffic tickets.

guts_19202002

allrite...thx man for all the info and help....is there any way I can keep in touch with u for further guidance from u???....u seemed to help me a lot on this issue....I would appreciate if u can give me ur contact details.....

thx and have a good day ahead!!!

patstew

If your ticket does not go to one of these village courts then you are probably okay, but keep in mind if the court screws up and does not maintain your records of payment, the burden will fall on you to prove you paid.
Just wanted to add, when you send payment, WRITE A CHECK. If you don't have a checking account, GET ONE. I'm continually amazed by the number of people who tell me they don't have a checking account -- it's the best way to prove that you paid something.

One more thing, be sure to put a reference on the memo line of the check -- ticket number if you have it, plate number and "speeding ticket" if you don't.

guts_19202002

hey patstew,

thanks for your input..ya i do have a checking account...I was planning to write a check using that account only....do u think doing a money order or any other kind of payment would be useful???...i mean which guarantees that I had made a payment to that particular court????...plus I am also assuming that once I make a payment they will be mailing me the receipt...correct me if i am wrong???....

thanks a lot for your input and help man!!!

Maestro64

Do not do a money order, you get no documentation that it was paid, at least with a check you can get the cancel check back, even if your bank no longer sends the cancel check they usually online provide access to that check, you can print it off and keep a copy since most bank do not allow online access beyond a few years.

They should send you something that it was paid, but as I point out if the court is local garage or something and he the town mayor or garbage man do you think he will be that organize.

A canceled check is the best proof, no one can argue with a cancel check especial on with the citation number on it write to the court or town where the ticket was issued from.

if you want to contact me you can PM me here or you can find me at radardector.com which I would recommend get a detector and learn how to use it to avoid paying tickets like this.

guts_19202002

hey maestro,

once again thx for ur help man!!....so do u mean that I should just write a normal check with the ticket number on the MEMO field on the check???.....if i do it this way i would have a definite record that they withdrew the amount from my account(I can get the statement printed from my online account)...

sorry but I didn't quite understand the concept of a canceled check that u had mentioned in the last post...can u please elaborate on this if u don't mind???...

thanks a lot man.....this forum seriously rocks and its all because of u guys!!

have a good day!!

Maestro64

I am just showing my age,

Cancel check is what the bank would do when it was cashed. They would stamp the back saiding the check had been processed and send it back to you, for you own records. Today some banks still cancel the check but do not send them back to you they destroy it after about 2 yrs, they put an scanned image of the front and back of the canceled check online so you can look at and print it.

A statement alone will not be enough, unless you photo copy the check before you send it then you can show from a statement that the exact check was cashed, but that does not prove it was cashed by the proper authority, that is why you need the back of the check because that shows who cashed it and what account the money was placed into.

The only problem most banks do not keep these record for long period of times since the law does not require them to keep them for more then few years depending on the type of transaction. So it your responsible to keep these kind of records.

guts_19202002

i got your point....but i don't think so my bank sends a copy of the check when they process it....i guess they do post the image of the check online for my reference...but i am pretty sure they don't mail me the copy of the processed check....what do u think???....can I request a copy of that particular processed check from the bank to send it to me???..

i guess making a copy of the check before I mail it sounds like a good idea, but as u mentioned it does not prove the purpose that the check was actually cashed!!

thx man....

patstew

i got your point....but i don't think so my bank sends a copy of the check when they process it....i guess they do post the image of the check online for my reference...but i am pretty sure they don't mail me the copy of the processed check....what do u think???....can I request a copy of that particular processed check from the bank to send it to me???....
Either you're having us on or you're not reading for content.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">