• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket deferral?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tastycakeman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

So I recently got hit for speeding (listed 55 in a 35). This is my second speeding ticket, my first one I dumbly paid off. The first time I went to court to contest it, I asked for a deferral of the ticket, but the judge told me I was not allowed one as it was more than 25 over the posted limit. I was confused because I did not know about the speed limit to prevent my deferral.

My question is, as this was listed as 20 over, when I go to contest it, will I be able to receive a deferral? I was planning on going and asking for one, but if I could not, then would I be allowed to ask for a continuation of my hearing to come back with a lawyer? I made the mistake of paying for my first ticket (over 500) and having it on my record instead of just fighting it with a lawyer, so I don't want the same thing to happen again.

Also, can I ask for the cop to show up at the initial hearing to also get a continuation, thereby insuring a second hearing? Or can I ask for the cop to show up at the second hearing?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">