• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket Errors - No Speed or how I was clocked and more..??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kevtran

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tacoma, Washington

So I received a ticket for going 75 mph in a 60 mph zone. I had no conversation with the officer besides hello and goodbye. The officer told me I was going 75mph and needed my license. He came back with a ticket and said slow down.

On the ticket, the officer did not fill in the sections that read:
-VEHICLE SPEED
-IN A
-ZONE
-SMD, PACE, or AIRCRAFT

And notes just said "SPEED OVER LEGAL LIMIT."

Any defense? How can an officer give someone a speeding ticket and not write how fast, where, and how it was clocked?

joephys73

On the ticket, the officer did not fill in the sections that read:
-VEHICLE SPEED
-IN A
-ZONE
-SMD, PACE, or AIRCRAFT

And notes just said "SPEED OVER LEGAL LIMIT."

Any defense? How can an officer give someone a speeding ticket and not write how fast, where, and how it was clocked?
Some states have laws that don't require a specific speed. Somewhere on that ticket he should have noted the actual law that was broken by code number. Check it out and post what you find.

That being said, generally the citation can be amended at any time prior to trail or after trial at the judges order, although you do need to be served with the amended citation. Chances are you don't have a fatally defective citation and will have to argue the case on it's merits and not the citation.

kevtran

Some states have laws that don't require a specific speed. Somewhere on that ticket he should have noted the actual law that was broken by code number. Check it out and post what you find.

That being said, generally the citation can be amended at any time prior to trail or after trial at the judges order, although you do need to be served with the amended citation. Chances are you don't have a fatally defective citation and will have to argue the case on it's merits and not the citation.
I apologize, I am new at this. I did a google search for the code 46.61.400 and it does not state if they need to specify the speed. What are some good resources that I should be looking into? I appreciate your help.

Maestro64

The problem you have, in Washington traffic matters are civil, it does not follow criminal code like many states which requires evidence against you to be charily identified. As long as the judge feels you were more likely than not to have broken the speed limit that is all that is needed. Civil traffic infraction are the hardest to defend against even if you were 100% in the right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">