• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket-Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stroker_dave

What is the name of your state? Florida

I received a ticket for 56 in a 40 today after picking my stepson up from track practice. It was on a four-lane road during rush-hour traffic (~5:30 PM). I was in the left-hand lane, going downhill, and heading west (into the sun). With all the other cars around me (and there were plenty), I really do not know how fast I was going because I was watching them and not my speedometer. I do know that I was going slightly faster than the car in the right-hand lane, but no faster than the car ahead of me. I saw the officer parked on a street to the right as I was switching to the RH land and approaching an intersection where I believe the light had just turned green for our direction. The officer pulled out behind me, lit me up, and I turned right at the light and stopped. The officer approached and I noticed the bottom of the ticket pad was already filled out (where his name and badge number go...don't know if this is the norm to save time or what). He asked for my DL, informed me it would be a few minutes, and retreated to the rear of the car. Less than two minutes later the officer re-approached, asked me to sign the ticket, gave me my copy, and left.

I discussed this with my wife when I got home and feel that I would be justified in contesting the ticket because, with so much traffic around us travelling at the same relative speed, I'm not sure how the officer could pick me out specifically as violating the speed limit with so many other vehicles going approximately the same speed. Even my 15-year old stepson asked me how he managed that. I was also very surprised that the officer did not ask for my registration and/or proof of insurance (don't know if it is SOP, required, etc...). He seemed to be in a hurry to get back on the street and I get the feeling that it was just a "fish in a barrel shoot" for the local city police (end of the month quota push???).

I haven't been ticketed for a moving violation in 14 years of driving locally and out-of-state since I moved to Florida, and really bothers me to have received one after so long.

Based on the traffic conditions (number of cars and speed) and my clean driving record, would it be worth my time and effort to contest the ticket and go to court? My only hesitation is the statement on the back of the ticket that, should I contest and lose, I could be fined up to $500 (for contesting a $183.50 ticket).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">