• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket - GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kathrynd

I recently received a speeding ticket in Tift County Georgia. I was speeding at the time of the ticket. However, I would like to dispute the ticket for several reasons.

1st: The ticket was written for 91 in a 65. However, according to my speedometer, I did not hit 90.

2nd: I was definitely speeding at the time I was pulled over. However, I was at a point where 3 lanes merged into 2, and was trying to get over between like 4 semis. Since the pavement was wet, I sped up for literally like 3 seconds to get around them so they would not be kicking water up at me and blinding me. Even the cop would have to admit that once I got over, I slowed back down to a safer speed.

My questions are - should I plead "no lo" or "not guilty" to this offense in order to get the opportunity to state my reasons? They want a fine of $700, which I can not pay (and don't want to pay as I feel the ticket is ufair), so any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Kathryn

kathrynd

I would concede that perhaps I was going somewhere between 85 - 90 at that time. I was actually watching the speedometer to be sure I was not accelerating TOO quickly. I just wanted to be able to merge over. The cut off point between a $350 fine and a $700 fine is at 90, which is why the numbers are so important in this case. Do you think it is worth trying to fight it?

CarrieT

kathrynd said:
I would concede that perhaps I was going somewhere between 85 - 90 at that time. I was actually watching the speedometer to be sure I was not accelerating TOO quickly. I just wanted to be able to merge over. The cut off point between a $350 fine and a $700 fine is at 90, which is why the numbers are so important in this case. Do you think it is worth trying to fight it?
The problem is - as I think the judge would see it, is that you ALSO had the choice to slow down BEHIND the semi's, rather than speed up. And if it was slick and rainy, even more reason to have chosen slowing down.
Having so said, since you did receive the ticket and you have to do something, if it were me, Id plead not guilty, go to court and either tell the truth, OR get one of those books or online pdfs on 'how to beat your ticket'. Its worth a try.
Good luck!
Carrie

divgradcurl

kathrynd said:
I recently received a speeding ticket in Tift County Georgia. I was speeding at the time of the ticket. However, I would like to dispute the ticket for several reasons.

1st: The ticket was written for 91 in a 65. However, according to my speedometer, I did not hit 90.

2nd: I was definitely speeding at the time I was pulled over. However, I was at a point where 3 lanes merged into 2, and was trying to get over between like 4 semis. Since the pavement was wet, I sped up for literally like 3 seconds to get around them so they would not be kicking water up at me and blinding me. Even the cop would have to admit that once I got over, I slowed back down to a safer speed.

My questions are - should I plead "no lo" or "not guilty" to this offense in order to get the opportunity to state my reasons? They want a fine of $700, which I can not pay (and don't want to pay as I feel the ticket is ufair), so any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Kathryn
"No lo," in this case, is the same thing as pleading guilty. If you want a chance to argue your case, "no lo" won't do it -- you will need to plead "not guilty."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">