• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dx503

I was pulled over for going 32 mph in a supposedly 20 mph zone under Washington state law RCW 46.61.440 (in King County)

My problem was that according to the infraction location on the ticket referring to this specifically:

(2) A county or incorporated city or town may create a school or playground speed zone on a highway bordering a marked school or playground, in which zone it is unlawful for a person to operate a vehicle at a speed in excess of twenty miles per hour. The school or playground speed zone may extend three hundred feet from the border of the school or playground property; however, the speed zone may only include area consistent with active school or playground use.

According to google maps directions, google maps longitude and latitude coordinates, etc. The location of the infraction was about 350-360 feet away from the school property border.

I'm thinking that if I can prove this is the case (going to the city library for city map records so I can confirm this tomorrow) I can get out of the ticket since the location of infraction was outside the limit of a school speed zone as indicated by the RCW.

Is it plausible to get this infraction dismissed from this fact (if true)?

Last edited:

asiny

I was pulled over for going 32 mph in a supposedly 20 mph zone under Washington state law RCW 46.61.440 (in King County)

My problem was that according to the infraction location on the ticket referring to this specifically:

(2) A county or incorporated city or town may create a school or playground speed zone on a highway bordering a marked school or playground, in which zone it is unlawful for a person to operate a vehicle at a speed in excess of twenty miles per hour. The school or playground speed zone may extend three hundred feet from the border of the school or playground property; however, the speed zone may only include area consistent with active school or playground use.

According to google maps directions, google maps longitude and latitude coordinates, etc. The location of the infraction was about 350-360 feet away from the school property border.

I'm thinking that if I can prove this is the case (going to the city library for city map records so I can confirm this tomorrow) I can get out of the ticket since the location of infraction was outside the limit of a school speed zone as indicated by the RCW.

Is it plausible to get this infraction dismissed from this fact (if true)?
If you can prove it. It's plausible. What was the speed limit on the road you were traveling?
And don't go by google- they have no legal standing. Their measurements could be greatly off. Only the county office would have the precise measurements- which you are free to request.

And if another user chimes in, I am sure they will inform you that you can question the officer on his knowledge that you were within 300' of the school zone.

dx503

The speed limit of the road was either 35 or 40 mph. (most likely 40)

And the google maps can be overlayed with longitude and latitude coordinates (which are not movable and can only change with continental shift) I doubt that their records could be off by more than a couple meters (since it's not dependent on the accuracy of the device measuring the location via gps)

I'll go to get the survey map and property records from the recorders office tomorrow to try to confirm the distance.

After that, if the distance is over 300 feet, then I'll subpoena the officer for trial and her knowledge of the RCW and distance from the school.

Last edited:

dx503

Right next to the school is all private property (houses and etc)

there is a metal fence separating the school from the houses along the entire north side.

since sidewalk and streets are city property and not school property, the school property would end at the intersection between the fence and the sidewalk.

According to the local property online tool (shows property and parcel borders) the location of the infraction was almost 390 feet away from the border of school property.

Does anyone know about the location of infraction policies? it's different than where the police car was at and where we were pulled over. (like 50 feet further down the road)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">