• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Weath100

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
I received a speeding ticket earlier this summer in king and queen county, Virginia. The ticket was for 57/45. I am trying to decide what my best options are. I currently have 4 points on my license from another ticket.

The circumstances surrounding the ticket: The cop had someone else pulled over when I passed him. It was around 11:45 pm and I was in unfamiliar territory. For some reason I thought the speed limit was 55 mph and checked my speed as I passed the cop. Roughly a half mile down the road I was pulled over, where the officer informed me I was speeding.

Should I bother going to court and fighting this, hoping for a reduction? This would be a risk because the judge could require me the take the va safe driving course to dismiss the ticket, which would leave me with 4 points on my license.

Or should I pay the ticket, then voluntary take the safe driving course(+5 points) and be left with 3 negative points on my license?

I appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks,
Blake

FlyingRon

While every GDC judge is different, I doubt there's anything you can do to avoid points from being assigned. Judges tend not to offer the driving school option unless you are already +5 and even sometimes not even then. I've never seen the judge MAKE you take the deferral. It's offered but you're free to decline it. If you're eligible (i.e., you've not taken it recently) you can take VADIP to reduce your point total.

I've not heard anything exculpatory... going downhill, not being familiar with the area, not knowing what the speed limit actually was, etc... mean little. Being late at night works against you.

But it doesn't hurt you to go to court and try. You might get at least the fine (but not the costs waived. One advantage is that insurers don't typically give a HOOT about DMV points in VA. If it's your insurance that you're worried about, it's better to avoid the conviction (even if you have to take the VADIP course, even if it leaves you with more DMV points).

Weath100

While every GDC judge is different, I doubt there's anything you can do to avoid points from being assigned. Judges tend not to offer the driving school option unless you are already +5 and even sometimes not even then. I've never seen the judge MAKE you take the deferral. It's offered but you're free to decline it. If you're eligible (i.e., you've not taken it recently) you can take VADIP to reduce your point total.

I've not heard anything exculpatory... going downhill, not being familiar with the area, not knowing what the speed limit actually was, etc... mean little. Being late at night works against you.

But it doesn't hurt you to go to court and try. You might get at least the fine (but not the costs waived. One advantage is that insurers don't typically give a HOOT about DMV points in VA. If it's your insurance that you're worried about, it's better to avoid the conviction (even if you have to take the VADIP course, even if it leaves you with more DMV points).
Thank you for the info!
Since I don't have a real argument for my case, any thoughts on what I should say? I have never been to traffic court before and don't want it to seem like I am wasting the judges or the prosecutor's time.

FlyingRon

GDC judges are pretty patient. You can certainly stand as you're case is called and state that you were there only to see if you could get the ticket deferred or reduced. Generally, you can hang out and catch what the sense of the judge is on such requests. Unless you scream obscenities at the judge or piss in his wheaties, you're not going to end up any worse than having to pay the ticket+costs and take the points.

Weath100

GDC judges are pretty patient. You can certainly stand as you're case is called and state that you were there only to see if you could get the ticket deferred or reduced. Generally, you can hang out and catch what the sense of the judge is on such requests. Unless you scream obscenities at the judge or piss in his wheaties, you're not going to end up any worse than having to pay the ticket+costs and take the points.
Thank you for the advice!
Do you think I should plead no contest?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">