• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket- I was clocked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rirnt

What is the name of your state? NJ

Had a couple of questions, maybe someone can help.

1. This happened 1 1/2 yrs. ago. ticket for 72 in a 55. The mile marker indicted on the ticket is clearly several miles into a 65 zone. Officer wrote that he clocked me, not on radar. Wrote the ticket with an indication that it was clear visability. It was a driving rain storm.

I missed the date, posted the bail. I couldn't make the next date. They took the bail as payment and processed as pleading guilty. I think I could reopen this and win it, any opinions?

lwpat

You should have appeared on your court date. Forget it, the ticket will probably go off your record for insurance purposes before you could get it reheard, which I doubt, anyway.

Why were you speeding in a driving rainstorm? You are supposed to slow down, not speed up.

dequeendistress

the speed limit was 65 correct?

Your speed was how much?

What were the road conditions again?

Please provide me with your defintion of clocked...

R

rirnt

to lwpat-

I wasn't speed. I wasn't doing 72. I came on the highway between a tractor trailor and a double trailer, I was blocked in. I saw the cop come over the rise of the hill late, in my rearview mirror. I excellerated to 65 to get around the truck and get to the right, that's it. I'm sort of scared to drive fast in the rain, that's how I know I wasn't flying. Several white SUV's passed me, I think the cop mistook me for one of them. That's why I noted the visability.

To dequeendistress-

Speed limit was 65, the officer wrote 55 on the ticket and noted the mile marker. He wrote me up for 72. It was very poor visabilty. He said he follwoed me for a while, but I'm sure he mixed me up with another car. If he had me that long and speeding, he would have put the radar on.

I recent recieved a ticket that I plead guilty to, and I think it has point associated with it (not speeding). Therefore, this ticket could put me over on points. My father is dying in the hospital, so I need to make sure I don't lose my license, or I won't be able to be with him for his last days. So this is very important to me.

There's more to the story, but I'll stop there.

R

rirnt

relative to this specific speeding ticket, not much more. I wrote everything down the evening I was pulled over. I can provide the actual roads I traveled that evening. I made a purchase at a supermarket with my ATM no more than 15 minutes before I was pulled over, so I have supporting information indicating where my trip started.

The other stuff I relates to the other tickets and personal issues. I'd probably be more comfortable detailing further via email.

R

rirnt

correct. I don't know where I stand with that. I did not receive any suspenion from the judge on the recent tickets, but I need to find out what the point situation is. I think I'm on the border. If I was able to reverse this 4 point ticket on my record, I don't think I'm at risk any longer.

If you are an attorney, you well know this is not always easy stuff to get info on. If the points will put me over, I need to act very quickly, I believe. Even if it doesn't put me over, those point are probably costing me money on my insurance, but I don't care as much about that right now. Being able to be with my Dad each day until the end is the most important thing right now.

JETX

Dequeen, your questions have absolutely NOTHING to do with the outcome of this situation. Bottom line... the writer failed to show up to present his 'defense' if he had one. And any allowed time to 'appeal' has long passed. This is a dead issue. Move on.

dequeendistress

Jetx
yessir.

I started out being facetious anyway and got caught up in it.

rirnt You will be notified if your license is revoked also I believe you would know what your insurance is costing you.

Good luck with dad, maybe you can move in with him and stop using that as the excuse to keep your license.

R

rirnt

sweet reply. unfortunately they do not allow additional beds in the Critical Care Unit.

If I was looking for moral advise, I'd talk to a priest. Is this where attorney's go to take out their frustations with their clients? and all the additional questions were for what reason? Just for personal amusement, I take it.

That's fine, I was just looking for some basic, friendly advice, I don't know that I looked in the right place.

JETX

"I was just looking for some basic, friendly advice, I don't know that I looked in the right place."
*** No you weren't. You asked for, and got, "any opinions?"
If you don't like the ones you got, you are certainly free to go out and pay a local attorney to hear your tale on an 18 month old ticket!!
Simply, you had your opportunity to offer your defense and chose not to... TWICE!

lwpat

Contact the DMV and get a copy of your MVR. Then you will know exactly where you stand on points. If you were this concerned about your license you should have appeared on your court dates.

The NJ DMV webpage probably has information on it on how to order your record and information on the NJ point system. If your license is suspended then you may need to retain an attorney to try to get a "hardship" permit if NJ law allows.

R

rirnt

Okay, since you seem to want to be sematical- You can infer what you'd like from my request for "opinions", but you simply can't accurately determine what I was looking for from my question. You can only infer. Further, context is important in judging the intention of a statement or question. For example, I asked for "opinions" on a website called "Free Advice", hence it would also be logical that I was looking for opinions relating to advice. It wouldn't be logical to assume I'm looking for opinions on my previous my personal decisions, or an unknown idividuals moralizing on the topic. That leap you took yourself, I would guess because you enjoy moralizing to strangers.

But I'm sure, based on the logic you use, you probably believe that the Constitution gives you the right to own a gun even if you are not part of a "well regulated militia".

"Friendly" was a silly asumption I made when querying this board. I just assumed that if someone took the time to review and reply, it would be a friendly one. I don't know why you'd do otherwise, unless you simply enjoy moralizing to strangers. Perhaps you should consider changing your "catch phrase" from "learn or leave" to " schadenfreude".

Of course I'm going to a lawyer. I was just trying to figure out my gameplan.

JETX

Your gameplan:
- 3 seconds left in the fourth quarter.
- You are behind by 21 points.
- You have the ball on your 40 yard line.
- Fourth and goal.

Now what are you going to do???
Answer:
Who cares, you have already lost the game and the stands are empty.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">