• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcable2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I received a speeding ticket in Paris, IL. I was ticketed for going 43 mph in a 30 mph zone. I had just entered town on a back road into town and there was no speed limit posted in the direction I was going, I was heading north. The only speed limit signs on the road are visible for people heading south. I was not speeding so I plan on fighting the ticket and would like some advice. I had a device plugged into my car running at the time recording my speed, gps location, time, miles per gallon and ect... So I have proof that I was not speeding at the time. I have double checked the information and it shows that I was not speeding. I had my cruise control set in at 35mph and the data from my device shows at the time he stopped me I was traveling at 34 mph. I am interested if I should select trial by judge or trial by jury. Also the best way to go about fighting this. I do not have money to hire somebody.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I received a speeding ticket in Paris, IL. I was ticketed for going 43 mph in a 30 mph zone. I had just entered town on a back road into town and there was no speed limit posted in the direction I was going, I was heading north. The only speed limit signs on the road are visible for people heading south. I was not speeding so I plan on fighting the ticket and would like some advice. I had a device plugged into my car running at the time recording my speed, gps location, time, miles per gallon and ect... So I have proof that I was not speeding at the time. I have double checked the information and it shows that I was not speeding. I am interested if I should select trial by judge or trial by jury. Also the best way to go about fighting this. I do not have money to hire somebody.
Too bad for you that, in the absence of signs indicating otherwise, the speed limit in an area as you describe is 30 mph.

jcable2

Too bad for you that, in the absence of signs indicating otherwise, the speed limit in an area as you describe is 30 mph.
It would not be to bad for me I was not going 43 mph as stated on my ticket. I was only going 34 mph at the time he pulled my over. I have proof that the entire time i was on the road from when i turned that the highest i went was 36 mph.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It would not be to bad for me I was not going 43 mph as stated on my ticket. I was only going 34 mph at the time he pulled my over. I have proof that the entire time i was on the road from when i turned that the highest i went was 36 mph.
Is it your intention to go in to court and prove that you were only going 20% over the speed limit?

jcable2

It is my intention to prove that I was not going 43 mph in a 30 as claimed by the ticket. I was not ticketed for going 34 in a 30. If you have no helpful information please do not respond. I tried to explain to the officer that I had my cruise control on and know for a fact I was not traveling 43, he ignored me and interrupted saying his radar says 43 and would not let me explain to him I have this device logging my speed and location.

Bali Hai

It is my intention to prove that I was not going 43 mph in a 30 as claimed by the ticket. I was not ticketed for going 34 in a 30. If you have no helpful information please do not respond. I tried to explain to the officer that I had my cruise control on and know for a fact I was not traveling 43, he ignored me and interrupted saying his radar says 43 and would not let me explain to him I have this device logging my speed and location.
Explain this to your mommie. Your "device" was inaccurate. The judge has heard it all before and you will pay your fine.

jcable2

Explain this to your mommie. Your "device" was inaccurate. The judge has heard it all before and you will pay your fine.
How would my device plugged into my OBD II port that was recording gps speed, OBD Speed, time and location is wrong? That my cars computer and the gps signal is both calculating the wrong speed? It is more likely that the elderly cop sitting in his car using a hand held radar he is holding out the car window is wrong. You need to understand the police department here is not top notch. There would be a great chance that the tuning fork has been dropped and not checked, if the radar was even calibrated. I guess I came to the wrong place to ask for advice. When someone is asking for real advice but just get trolls, poking fun. I have all the evidence needed just looking for the best way to go about this. I am waiting to hear back from a lawyer for some free advice, should be getting a call tomorrow according to the email. But thanks for no help.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I have proof that the entire time i was on the road from when i turned that the highest i went was 36 mph.
You have no such proof. The court will not recognize some unknown electronic "device" that you decided to install in your car since it's accuracy cannot be proven and I'm guessing that such a device has received no prior judicial notice.

jcable2

You have no such proof. The court will not recognize some unknown electronic "device" that you decided to install in your car since it's accuracy cannot be proven and I'm guessing that such a device has received no prior judicial notice.
Now I have looked into this. Courts have found people innocent from speeding by using gps trackers and travel on their phones and from "black box" data from OBD2 devices.

TigerD

Now I have looked into this. Courts have found people innocent from speeding by using gps trackers and travel on their phones and from "black box" data from OBD2 devices.
Yes, what the others meant - hopefully - is that the burden of proving the accuracy of your device is on you. Frankly the cost of doing so will likely exceed the cost of paying the ticket and any related increase in insurance costs - but have at it.

I think you would be better served spending your time and money attacking the officer's equipment and training. But again, it will cost more to do than the cost of the ticket.

Consider this - you speed frequently. You don't always get caught. Call it Karma and pay the ticket.

TD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">