• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket Jurisdiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coatimundi

I received a speeding ticket in Phoenix, Arizona the other day, from an officer from a different municipality over 10 miles away.
On the ticket, the assigned superior court is a certain Justice of the Peace district which differs from the Justice of the Peace district where the alleged violation occurred.

I found this in the Arizona statutes (22-201):
"E. In a county with a population of more than two million persons, the justice of the peace of each justice precinct shall have original jurisdiction to hear the following actions that occur in the respective precinct in which the justice of the peace is elected:
3. Civil traffic offenses unless a civil traffic offense is filed in a municipal court by a municipal officer or agent or by an officer employed by a law enforcement agency under contract to that municipality to provide law enforcement services."

Section E is aimed specifically at Maricopa County, because it's the only county in the state with >2 million people. So it would appear that there is a problem with jurisdiction.
So is the violation invalid? At the least, I think I have every right to have the venue changed, but that will just delay things.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
How do you know the "unless" clause of paragraph 3 doesn't apply here?

When you say "from an officer from a different municipality over 10 miles away."
what exactly do you mean? Different from where you live? Different from where the violation took place? Different from where you were stopped?

coatimundi

Thanks for responding!
How do you know the "unless" clause of paragraph 3 doesn't apply here?
There were two options for a court on the ticket: one was municipal, as part of the town where the officer was from, and the other was the county superior court. The latter was checked.
The "municipal" option couldn't have applied because the violation occurred outside of that municipality.

When you say "from an officer from a different municipality over 10 miles away."
what exactly do you mean? Different from where you live? Different from where the violation took place? Different from where you were stopped?
10 miles from where the violation took place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">