• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket in KCMO with some wrong info...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Surgio

What is the name of your state? I am a citizen of Kansas, ticket was issued in Missouri.

I got a ticket on 10-23-05 in Kansas City, Missouri on Highway 152 & US 169. The officer said he clocked me going 78 in a 60 with a radar gun at 1554 feet. Now, there was a PT Cruizer in front of me. I was driving a company Ford Econoline 250 Full-size van. The PT Cruizer was going 55, and I was just coming up onto it when it changed lanes. The officer was a motorcycle cop, who had a partner with him. When the PT Cruizer changed lanes, I started to accellerate... I know I wasn't going 78, seeing how the company van barely will make 85 without holding the pedal all the way down for a couple of minutes straight. When I saw the officers, they were talking, then one hoped on his bike and pointed at me and made a "pull over" motion. Anyways, I gave him my lisence and told him that I wasn't speeding, and that there was another vehicle in front of me, and he said "the one you were chasing?". I told him how could he be sure he hit me and not that vehicle. He told me that his partner clocked me first at 79mph, then this officer clocked me at 78... all of this within a 10 second time spand because as soon as I saw them, i hit the brakes, and I know they can't bounce radar off the tires. He issued me the ticket as a mail in.

Three mistakes I found... first, my age. He was off by a year (since I just had my b-day). Second... my lisence number. I've got two "8's" in my lisence number, but he wrote down one of them as a 3... thanks to the hologram on my lisence and how it just happens to cut off the left side of the 8 when viewed outside. The third is my name. I legally on my birth certificate have two first names, and it's hyphonated. On my license in Kansas, they can't hyphonate my first name-- so cops constantly put down my second first name as a middle inital, so they put down two middle initials rather than one. Any of these mistakes to my advantage?

Am I able to take this to court, do the basic questions, admit I was speeding, then simply say "no more questions"... then let the prosecution rest, and then bring up this mistake and present my lisence which shows an issue date of 09-17-2004? The 8 he wrote down incorrectly is very noticeable as an 8 when viewed inside-- not to mention there's another 8 in the same field, same font, same color.

Any advice?

Also I was issued another ticket in New Mexico back in August for speeding-- they forced me to plead guilty or not guilty on the spot, and wouldn't let me consult a lawyer. I was going 89 in a 75. But the same deal with the lisence number happened- he wrote down a 3 instead of an 8. I paid the ticket and told them they made a mistake, but not what it was. Will it be possible for them to tag this onto my record? I know in Kansas that if you get 3 tickets in a year they will suspend your license, and regretfully I got a third one last week. So.. somehow I gotta get one of these off.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Q: Any advice?

A: Get a lawyer in KC and try to negotiate that one to a non-point violation. It will cost you a lot, but it is better than losing your OPL.

Also, slow down.

You are a slow learner.

Surgio said:
Three mistakes I found... first, my age. He was off by a year (since I just had my b-day). Second... my lisence number. I've got two "8's" in my lisence number, but he wrote down one of them as a 3... thanks to the hologram on my lisence and how it just happens to cut off the left side of the 8 when viewed outside. The third is my name. I legally on my birth certificate have two first names, and it's hyphonated. On my license in Kansas, they can't hyphonate my first name-- so cops constantly put down my second first name as a middle inital, so they put down two middle initials rather than one. Any of these mistakes to my advantage?

Also I was issued another ticket in New Mexico back in August for speeding-- and regretfully I got a third one last week. So.. somehow I gotta get one of these off.
Any advice?
You have got to be ****ing kidding me. Of all the dumb ass excuses I have heard, this takes the cake.

My advise...... buy a bus pass.... and say goodbye to your undeserved license.

Surgio

Thank you two for your kind words. Did I mention I am a courier and I get paid by delivery? It's kind of hard not to go fast, especially on the weekends when it's me and 2 other drivers out there doing roughly 200 deliveries in a 12 hour period.

Now, if there's anyone out there who actually has some REAL advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I can't afford a lawyer... but can't the ticket technically be thrown out since they don't have the right license number on it? It's very clear that he wrote a 3 instead of an 8....

BelizeBreeze

Surgio said:
Thank you two for your kind words. Did I mention I am a courier and I get paid by delivery? It's kind of hard not to go fast, especially on the weekends when it's me and 2 other drivers out there doing roughly 200 deliveries in a 12 hour period.
That is an excuse, not a valid reason to break the law.
Now, if there's anyone out there who actually has some REAL advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I can't afford a lawyer... but can't the ticket technically be thrown out since they don't have the right license number on it? It's very clear that he wrote a 3 instead of an 8....
The ticket will survive the mistake. And if you bring it up in court the judge will simply ask you the correct license number and change the 3 to an 8.

Pay the fine.

Pugilist

How much is your license worth? If you try to handle the ticket yourself, you may lose the fight, and your license.

So, get a lawyer, no matter what.

You should also consider a different line of work, one that doesn't require you to speed. Your present job probably doesn't pay enough to justify the cost of the lawyer, or the cabfare you're gonna pay after you lose your license.

Pug

Pugilist said:
You should also consider a different line of work, one that doesn't require you to speed. Your present job probably doesn't pay enough to justify the cost of the lawyer, or the cabfare you're gonna pay after you lose your license.

Pug
PUG.... Finally..... a good answer. Love the sarcasm... good for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">