• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket last night

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moose444

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I was pulled over last night and given a ticket for going 60 in a 45 zone. I honestly do not believe I was traveling 60 mph. At most I was going 55. There is a stop sign about 200 yards ahead of where the trooper was sitting so I was on the decline in speed. I saw him sitting on the right hand shoulder and immediately slowed down since none of his lights were on and I thought it was a disabled vehicle. He immediately turned his lights on and promptly pulled me over as soon as I made the right hand turn. I asked him to show me the radar gun and he said to show up in court and he would prove it.

I know this is not relative but he was very young and very arrogant. He wanted nothing to do with a conversation and did not provide any proof of speeding.

What are my chances in court if I plead not guilty

racer72

At most I was going 55.
So you do admit to speeding.

I asked him to show me the radar gun
Not required and in many cases, would be a violation of policy for the officer to do so.

he said to show up in court and he would prove it.
This should have been a hint to you.

I know this is not relative but he was very young and very arrogant.
That is your opinion. I won't matter in court.

and did not provide any proof of speeding.
The officer does not have to prove anything on the side of the road. Remember the hint mentioned above?

What are my chances in court if I plead not guilty
Zero based on your post. I would suggest you talk to a local attorney.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Not only does he admit that he was speeding, he also admits that he cannot truthfully testify as to his actual speed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">