• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket Laws In Utah

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cassidee

Utah (only U.S. law)

Hey guys,

Here is my deal, a couple of friends and I were going down Sardine Canyon in Cache Valley Utah. My friend was driving and was coasting down the hill when a cop caught site of us just before the canyon ended. It so happens that my friend was driving 80 in a 60. Needless to say, he got the ticket for going 69. Of course, my friend really can't afford a ticket with college expenses and such, but when we looked at his ticket, the date of the citation was not written. In New Hampshire (where my friend is from) if the ticket has no date of citation, the ticket is not legally complete and is automatically thrown out.

Given this idea, my question is whether anyone knows if that law is the same here in Utah? Or does the citation date not matter to the court system. It is kind of messed up that if a cop is lazy about ticketing, that the ticket should still be payed. I don't know how many people would agree with me on that, but in all reality, it's a cops job to fill out and file the information correctly. We practically pay them to do that properly and if they can't is it fair that we should have to give up more money, whether in the right or wrong, when a cop can't do his job fully?

Tell me honestly what you think and if you can tell me any more information on the subject.

Thanks,
Cassie

I_Got_Banned

Utah (only U.S. law)

Hey guys,

Here is my deal, a couple of friends and I were going down Sardine Canyon in Cache Valley Utah. My friend was driving and was coasting down the hill when a cop caught site of us just before the canyon ended. It so happens that my friend was driving 80 in a 60. Needless to say, he got the ticket for going 69. Of course, my friend really can't afford a ticket with college expenses and such, but when we looked at his ticket, the date of the citation was not written. In New Hampshire (where my friend is from) if the ticket has no date of citation, the ticket is not legally complete and is automatically thrown out.

Given this idea, my question is whether anyone knows if that law is the same here in Utah? Or does the citation date not matter to the court system. It is kind of messed up that if a cop is lazy about ticketing, that the ticket should still be payed. I don't know how many people would agree with me on that, but in all reality, it's a cops job to fill out and file the information correctly. We practically pay them to do that properly and if they can't is it fair that we should have to give up more money, whether in the right or wrong, when a cop can't do his job fully?
Tell me honestly what you think and if you can tell me any more information on the subject.

Thanks,
Cassie
I dont know about the laws in Utah... But can I still tell you what I honestly think?

I will anyway...

One day when you grow up, finish college, get a job, ..., etc. You will have some days where you might go into work and in the normal course of you doing your job, you make a mistake... Unintentional as it may be, to have to correct that mistake, will (lets assume take you 3 hours)... Your manager comes in and says:

"in all reality, it's your job to do that correctly. We practically pay you to do that properly and if you can't is it fair that we should have to give up more money, whether in the right or wrong, when you can't do your job fully?"

What are you gonna answer with? ;)

My guess, and this is only a guess... Is that the cop will notice that his, as well as the court copy are missing the date; he will take 3 seconds to add that onto the court copy before it is filed in court. Well, might as well take another 3 seconds to also enter the correct date on his copy as well... As for your friends copy, I would be more concerned about the date he has to appear in court than I would be about what date he received the citation. I mean he was there when the officer cited him, right? He'll have some sort of reference to remind him of the date he received it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">