• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket in MA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

psat

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I was driving less than 1/8 mile in front of my company when I was pulled over by cop who was standing behind his car. He gave me ticket for driving 40 in 30 mph zone (not posted on the street). He also checked 'estimated' for my speed on the ticket. This is my first ticket in almost 16 years.
What are my chances of winning this ticket if I contest? Any advise on how to contest?

Does court charge any amount if I win or loose for court time/process?
I understand that I have to pay fine shown on the ticket if I loose. But will there be additional penalty for court time?

Thanks in advance.

sukharev

psat said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I was driving less than 1/8 mile in front of my company when I was pulled over by cop who was standing behind his car. He gave me ticket for driving 40 in 30 mph zone (not posted on the street). He also checked 'estimated' for my speed on the ticket. This is my first ticket in almost 16 years.
What are my chances of winning this ticket if I contest? Any advise on how to contest?

Does court charge any amount if I win or loose for court time/process?
I understand that I have to pay fine shown on the ticket if I loose. But will there be additional penalty for court time?

Thanks in advance.
It's likely a 2 step process. First, you deal with magistrate (no cost there), then, if you are found responsible, you can request a real court hearing for $20 bucks. If a court finds you guilty, you pay pretty much the same fine as you have on a ticket, give or take a few dollars to the Commonwealth.

You have a good chance of having it dismissed, if you play this right. First of all, confirm that speed limit was not posted by taking the picture or a movie clip of your trip. Then request a copy of special regulation from local authority (depends on who owns/maintains the road). If no such thing exists, you are under basic speed law, and have to be observed for 1/8 mile before being stopped. Look at the ticket, the distance is supposed to be marked on there. If not, your movie clip coupled with direct measurement of straight line of sight distance should do the trick. Find on internet and read MA statutes 90-17 and 90-18 (one of them should be on your ticket).

Once again, 10 mph over should be easy to dismiss, if you have the right approach.

Defender101

Mass Tickets

You are absolutely right on target.

The best way to fight a ticket is to use the law against them.

Great Lawyering :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">