• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket in MA ,moving to different state in two months

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jhawkinson

What is the name of your state? MA

Last friday (8/31/07) I got a $170 ticket for supposedly going at 47 in a 30 mph zone. I am pretty sure darn cop was trying to fill his quota (the last day of the month) I was respectful but did not admit anything because I believe I was not going at 47 or over 40 for that matter. The cop was using a Laser device, the ticket red "estimate - LIDAR" . The wholething happened because The lady in front of me while talking on her cellphone slowed down on a downhill and she was pulling over, I simply went around her and within 3-5 seconds got stopped by the cop. When she was slowing down I looked and she was 20-25 mph and further slowing down so all I did was to pass her and within 5 seconds I got lasered. Judging by her speed and the way I passed her I know I could not have climbed to 47 mph that quickly. I was likely going at 35 , 37 at most. On a clear sunny day with light traffic, it was not too fast at all. This is a road right along a fenced golf course so it is not like there is cars or people entering traffic from side roads, I am mentioning this because I also red MA is not an absolute speed limit state so these things supposedly count... I am usually very careful with speeding and this is my first speeding ticket.

As soon as I got the ticket I mailed it back denying any wrongdoing. However it later dawned on me that I am moving to AL in two months and by the time I am assigned a court date, which is usually 4 months after the incident I was told, I will be gone and cannot represent myself. My questions are:

1- Since I will be getting a new driver license in early November from AL by transferring my license from MA if I wait and simply pay the fine after November (before the court date and after the transfer of my license) can I expect that this ticket will not show up on my AL driving record? (because my MA license info will have already been transfered to my AL license before this last incident will ever appear on my MA records).
2- Is it worth hiring a lawyer to represent me because I cannot attend the court from AL?
3- Is there any way to defend myself without ever going to the court? a fine without any points on my record would be fine , can this be negotiated without appearing at court because I will be in a different state by then.

Thanks very much for your help
Joe

Last edited:

The Occultist

States that are part of the Non-Resident Violators Compact report moving violations to each other. Your new state will know of the violation no matter when you get the new license.

A lawyer MIGHT be able to represent you in your absence. You should ask some local attorneys and see. If they cannot, then you will be required to go back to the state and attend court.

Jhawkinson

States that are part of the Non-Resident Violators Compact report moving violations to each other. Your new state will know of the violation no matter when you get the new license.
Thank you for the response, MA is one of the few states that do not belong to the compact as far as I know, yet MA has direct reporting to some states, and they dont disclose the states they work with.

Maestro64

The Compact is for sharing points so that way if you get a ticket out of your home state points will still be assigned to your home driving record. So the points will show on your MA license not the AL since you do not have that yet. Also MA has to disclose who which states they work with, they can not have "Secret Packs" with each other. MA is part of the new system being put in place

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Agreement

However, if you do not show up at the court they will issue a bench warrant and possible suspend your MA license. Now this information is require to be reported to a national database which all states have access to. I have seen a number of instance where people who left one state with ticket unpaid or other similar things only to have problems in their new state years later.

It is in your best interest to make sure this is cleanly resolved, whether you just pay it now or fight it and win. Do not let this hang out there, it could come back to bite you. If you just want to pay it, call the court and see if you can change your plead and just pay it, it may cost you a lot less in the long run.

Last edited:

Jhawkinson

Well if it appears I cannot make it to the court then I will definetely pay the ticket. I was just hoping that this incident does not show up on my record until I transfer my license to AL(due to its pending court status). if it shows up on my MA record after I transfer my license to AL then I think my AL record will never show it. MA does not belong to the compact and will most likely not share this info with AL after my license transfer.

One of my friends also recomended I call the Clerk and ask for a speedy trial because of my moving, I wish I could do that and get rid of this ticket all together.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">