• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket + misc in NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LemSkroob2007

What is the name of your state? New York - NYC

Hello. Just the other day, i was traveling on the highway in Queens NY, and got pulled over for speeding (in the 11-30 over bracket). I do not contest that i wasn't speeding, but i cant say for sure how fast i was going, as it was a wide open road, late at night, and i was not looking down at my speedometer at all times (its hard to judge speed on an empty highway sometimes).

I was also given a ticket for "invalid insurance", but this was incorrect, as my insurance is in fact valid (i keep two copies of my insurance, and i think he was looking at the older one, ignoring the new card i also gave him. i always like to keep things on me, so i just gave the officer all that i had). He at no point told me about this, and when handing everything back to me, it was all folded together. I didnt even notice the second ticket till the PO was already pulling away (i guess his quota was coming up and he wanted to sneak one in there).

i currently have no points in the last 18months (and only one ever ticket that had points for it, a stop sign about 5 years back), but this ticket carries 6 points! I do have a red-light camera one form a few months ago, but that is no points, and is paid off.

Anyway, here are my questions:

(1) from reading the back, it would seem all i have to do for the Insurance one is send in the ticket with a copy of my card and it will be taken care of. Is this correct?

(2) For the speeding ticket, is it worth fighting, if i bring down a lawyer @$250?

just some general questions:

(1) when a officer runs your name, does the info he pulls up read all those past offenses? The one ticket from 5 years ago? the recent, but no-points/paid-up red-light cam? I am wondering if this info pops up, if it factors into the officers decision to issue tickets?

(2) not that i ever got one, never lucky two on these two cases, but to "warnings" go into the system and how long do they last?

(3) if i am stuck with this ticket, and after i take the safe driving course for 4pts, will the two points on my license hurt my insurance much? I am a 25yo driver with no other incidents not listed here, and no accidents.

Thanks!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">