• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket in NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Railroaded22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I got a speeding ticket charging 53 in a 35 in NC. Went to court to plea not guilty and to request a continuance to prepare my defense but was ordered to sit down, do not speak and then begin the trial. Several times when the judge made a statement and I tried to respond but the bailiff kept telling me "dont speak". I was found guilty and ordered to just pay court cost. The whole proceeding seemed surreal. Wasnt I supposed to sign some kind of document requesting an attorney or claiming to represent myself before it began?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Several times when the judge made a statement and I tried to respond but the bailiff kept telling me "dont speak".
Unless the judge asks you a question it is totally inappropriate to open your mouth. You don't get to respond to just anything the judge says.

FlyingRon

No. If you want an attorney you should have brought one. There's no PD available for traffic violations (as they carry no potential of jail time). If you screwed up and didn't have one, and needed a continuance you should have approached the clerk before your trial actually commenced.

You only get to speak when it is your turn (after the witnesses for the state).

Railroaded22

Someone mentioned that before I was to take a seat in front of the judge, I was to be presented and to sign a waiver regarding representation. Is that the proper procedure?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">