• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket in NC (86 in 65, out-of-state resident)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCGOGO

What is the name of your state? NC

*I have no prior record*
Made an 8.5hr trip from NJ to NC the other day, and I got stopped about 30mins away from my destination for going 86 in a 65. While it is certainly possible that this is true (and if the officer clocked me at 86, it must be right), it certainly is not indicative of how I was driving. I maintained a speed of 70-75mph for practically the entire trip. A couple of times I caught myself going upper 70s when I would glance at directions, but I would immediately slow back down. So it is certainly possible (and probable) that he caught me speeding (for no longer than 30 seconds maximum), but I have a couple of questions on how I can proceed:

1) Can I plead for sympathy at all in being 30mins away at the end of an 8.5hr trip?
2) As I mentioned, I was driving btn 70-75mph for 99% of the trip, which I think I can prove. Would I be able to have the person who lives at the house I left verify the time that I left the house? I was pulled over about 7.75hrs after leaving the house. By dividing the total number of miles I drove before I was pulled over by this number (and also accounting for my one 10-minute stop for gas), we get an average speed of about 68mph. It's a little low because the house is about 2miles from the highway (so I was going 45-50 for that stretch) and there was a stretch of maybe 10mins or so where construction slowed me to 55mph.
3) Now, I recognize this is still over the speed limit, but with this information, would I be able to reduce the speed posted on the ticket?
4) What about a Prayer for Judgment? I realize that my being out-of-state hurts my cause, but I am a student in NC, so I do live here for the majority of the year. I feel that my having no prior record and evidence that shows I did not significantly speed except for a couple minor stretches may help me as well.
5) Finally, under the "Speed" part of the citation, it reads "R 86 M." What do the R and M stand for? I assume Radar 86 Misdemeanor?

Thank you so much for any help you can provide. It is really much appreciated.

The Occultist

1) Can I plead for sympathy at all in being 30mins away at the end of an 8.5hr trip?
You can ask for anything you want. However, there is no legal reason to grant any leniency, especially for a lame reason like that. Anyways, that choice will be left up to the judge and is not something anybody here can predict.

2) As I mentioned, I was driving btn 70-75mph for 99% of the trip, which I think I can prove. Would I be able to have the person who lives at the house I left verify the time that I left the house? I was pulled over about 7.75hrs after leaving the house. By dividing the total number of miles I drove before I was pulled over by this number (and also accounting for my one 10-minute stop for gas), we get an average speed of about 68mph. It's a little low because the house is about 2miles from the highway (so I was going 45-50 for that stretch) and there was a stretch of maybe 10mins or so where construction slowed me to 55mph.
Nice try, but it doesn't work like that. You may not, at ANY point, travel above the speed limit. What your average for the trip was means absolutely nothing. If you were observed going above the limit for more than 1/8 of the mile, then the cite is valid.

3) Now, I recognize this is still over the speed limit, but with this information, would I be able to reduce the speed posted on the ticket?
That's something that will have to be worked out with the DA or judge, and again, not something anybody here can predict.

4) What about a Prayer for Judgment? I realize that my being out-of-state hurts my cause, but I am a student in NC, so I do live here for the majority of the year. I feel that my having no prior record and evidence that shows I did not significantly speed except for a couple minor stretches may help me as well.
You'll have to work that out with them.

5) Finally, under the "Speed" part of the citation, it reads "R 86 M." What do the R and M stand for? I assume Radar 86 Misdemeanor?
*shrug*

Thank you so much for any help you can provide. It is really much appreciated.
No problem.

Nothing in your message will help in court ( a few of your points may do more damage than good...). Being sincerely apologetic and stating you learned your lesson will usually go further. Nothing slows most people down more than a speeding ticked.

"R" probably means radar and "M" may mean mandatory court appearance.

PFJ only applies to insurance points applicable to NC residents.

If you need to drive, take this very seriously -- you are at risk of a suspension. In NC, any conviction greater than 15 over the limit or greater than 80 can result in a suspension of your right to drive in NC and may be reported back as such to your home state. Ask the DMV in your home state what the impact will be. Also check with your insurance company to see what they will do (they may drop you if suspended).

This is big business in NC, an attorney can handle this for you (you will be getting offers to help in the mail).

To try on your own, when you go to court, dress nice, be polite, say your are very sorry and it won't happen again and ask for a reduction to 9 over. If they say no, plead not guilty and come back with an attorney.

For more info, look here:

http://www.ncsu.edu/student_affairs/legal_services/legaldocs/Trafficpoints.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">