• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket in Norcal, court in Socal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Miriel

I got a speeding ticket for supposedly going 96 on a 70 on the Golden state freeway. There were several cars around me that were zooming by pretty fast, and I really don't think I was even hitting 90 with MY speed. Anyway, I'm going to fight the ticket, but I'm not really sure how good my chances are of beating the ticket since I don't have any real proof or anything.

One thing that I'm really wondering is if officers usually show up if there's a 300 miles difference from where the ticket was given and where the court appearance will be.

Any help or advice would be aprpeciated.

seniorjudge

Miriel said:
I got a speeding ticket for supposedly going 96 on a 70 on the Golden state freeway. There were several cars around me that were zooming by pretty fast, and I really don't think I was even hitting 90 with MY speed. Anyway, I'm going to fight the ticket, but I'm not really sure how good my chances are of beating the ticket since I don't have any real proof or anything.

One thing that I'm really wondering is if officers usually show up if there's a 300 miles difference from where the ticket was given and where the court appearance will be.

Any help or advice would be aprpeciated.

Why do you think there will be a 300 mile difference from where the ticket was given and where the court appearance will be?

Miriel

Because I already put in a request to have a change of venue to have the court closer to where I live. And where I live is 300 miles from where I got the ticket.

justalayman

Miriel said:
Because I already put in a request to have a change of venue to have the court closer to where I live. And where I live is 300 miles from where I got the ticket.
AH,,,, but has your request been granted?

Even then, maybe the cop wants to go for a long drive seeing your taxes will be paying for it.

JETX

Miriel said:
I doubt that the court will agree to your venue request.... and until they do, you get to travel the 300 miles. Remember though... don't speed!

CdwJava

It will be tried in the county where it was issued. The county 300 miles away will not have jurisdiction to hear the case. You can change courts within the county, usually, but not to a court outside the county of occurrence.

So, do you have a defense, or was this your 'Hail Mary' pass that is about to be intercepted?

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">