• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket not issued, but threatened to reissue...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anonymous311

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was recently pulled over for speeding. The officer took my information and realized that while my address was changed with the DMV, the license was never updated. I sent a letter to the District Attorney that I was directed to and explained that my information was up to date and that I'm not guilty. I got a response that he talked to the officer and was told of the situation. If I wanted him to reissue the speeding ticket he could do that, otherwise he would not dismiss/reduce the license address change. Is there anything I can do here? Can he really reissue a ticket that I never received in the first place?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The officer has ONE YEAR from the date of the infraction to issue the ticket. It is NOT a "re-issue".

In addition, if you fight the charge the officer may amend the ticket to a speeding charge in court, or dismiss the charge and issue you a speeding ticket right there in court. In that case I would not expect ANY leeway if you try to fight the speed later on.

Your physical license does NOT have to be changed if you updated the DMV with your new address. However, this sounds like a roadside plea bargain - in other words I wouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth if I was you. You received a huge break.

I would pay the ticket and be done with it.

Anonymous311

Thanks

That makes sense, thank you for the quick response. This was the plan, but it was the first time I'd ever heard of this. Thank you for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">