• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket not originally in my name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lindareck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was issued a speeding ticket on Saturday in Michigan. The ticket that was given to me was made out to someone else, including their Drivers License number, their address, their DOB, their height and weight. My car and my license plate were listed on the ticket, as well as the time and location of the incident. I didn't realize the name on the ticket wasn't mine until I was well on my way.

I received in the mail today a new ticket made out to me. (Sent US First Class Mail.) This was only after contacting a friend who is a police officer in another municipality, who in turn, contacted the lieutenant to find out what I should do.

What advice do you have to offer? I am thinking I will deny responsibility and go in front of a magistrate and plead my case, since the original ticket is made out in someone else's name.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was issued a speeding ticket on Saturday in Michigan. The ticket that was given to me was made out to someone else, including their Drivers License number, their address, their DOB, their height and weight. My car and my license plate were listed on the ticket, as well as the time and location of the incident. I didn't realize the name on the ticket wasn't mine until I was well on my way.

I received in the mail today a new ticket made out to me. (Sent US First Class Mail.) This was only after contacting a friend who is a police officer in another municipality, who in turn, contacted the lieutenant to find out what I should do.

What advice do you have to offer? I am thinking I will deny responsibility and go in front of a magistrate and plead my case, since the original ticket is made out in someone else's name.
You have received a corrected ticket...

Maestro64

You messed up, your friend hosed you by telling the other officer he messed up your ticket so he reissued a corrected ticket, and this is allowed.

If you did not say anything, you could have gone to court and gotten it dismissed since the officer obviously miss identify you and does not have the ability to pay attention to details and this ticket could very well be for another person, who to say the other information about the offense is correct. The speed could have been the other person speed and you are being penalized for what they did.

But too late for that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">