• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket- NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aprilmay13135

What is the name of your state? New York

I was pulled over on Valentine's Day for speeding. Officer says I was doing 60 in a 45. I knew the officer was behind me, and I'm not completely stupid, so I was NOT doing 60. I admit, I was probably going about 47-50, and didn't think that would be a big deal in a 45.

The officer cited this speed on "observation," meaning, he didn't use radar. Will this be easy to get out of? He suggested that i check to see if my spedometer is broken-- can i have it calibrated? it is a new car (used) that i bought about a month before being pulled over. will that get me out of the ticket?

On another note, i constantly get pulled over by cops, and i swear to you (though i'm sure no one will believe me) i am not speeding. my last ticket, i got pulled over doing 70 in a 65 (i have a witness) and the ticket says i'm doing 81. i was in the RIGHT LANE with cars passing me during rush hour!!
also, i've been pulled over about 3 times, just to be asked where i'm going and what i'm doing. no ticket. nothing.

i really feel personally violated by this. i'm a 22 year old female. i have blonde hair. the car i drive is silver. there is nothing hanging from my mirror. all of my lights work. there's nothing unusual about me, i have no tattoos and only my ears are peirced with one hole. how can i stop this harrassment? the officers have generally always been polite, but it's frightening, and annoying, to get pulled over for no reason, especially at night.

is there anything about me that i can change that will make this stop happening?

lwpat

The suggestion about checking your speedometer may be worth looking into. You can time yourself between milemarkers on the interstate.

NY has a new surcharge for anyone with 6 or more points so it pays to contest every ticket.

sukharev

:) Ask officer for his speedometer calibration as evidence. If he does not have it, the ticket should be dismissed due to lack of foundation.

LawAbiding

aprilmay13135 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I was pulled over on Valentine's Day for speeding...

is there anything about me that i can change that will make this stop happening?

Maybe change your name to NovemberDecember?
Officers don't find it to be as sexy as aprilmay.

Maybe leave your car at home on V-day?

ecmst12

If you're constantly getting pulled over for speeding when you don't think you have been, it sounds like your spedometer could be broken. Get it checked out. If it is, bring your repair invoice to court when you contest the ticket and explain the situation. Hopefully they will let you off or plead down to a lower offense.

BTW, do tattoos and piercings make people evil?

aprilmay13135

No, i don't personally think so. But if i had a bunch, i think i might run the risk of getting pulled over more often for they way i look. someone in my neighborhood churck got put in jail for her view on the war...

justalayman

aprilmay13135 said:
someone in my neighborhood churck got put in jail for her view on the war...
I doubt that it was for her view on the war.
It was more probably how/where/when the views were presented.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Maybe she is getting pulled over for her flagrant disregard of the law -- I mean she admits on her other thread how she doesn't pay parking tickets because she doesn't think it is fair that they can give someone a ticket who is only in town for six hours. Hence if she is only traveling through a town and it takes thirty seconds, she probably doesn't think that is fair either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">