• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nooj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Received ticket in the Town of Manchester NY, originally from Toronto, Canada.

I was a road trip to New York City in a rental car and received a speed ticket for going 79mph in a 65mph zone. I will most likely plead guilty by mail, considering I have no defense other than to get home before 3am (clearly wouldn't hold up), and I was the only one on the road. Since this is my first speeding ticket in the US, I'd like to ask what kind of fines should I be expecting? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Further info:
Mailing address is to Manchester Town Court in Clifton Springs.

asiny

expect the fine and 4 points on your Driving Record.
HighwayMan should be getting to this thread soon enough but, and I am sure I may be corrected, as your licence is Canadian I don't believe you are going to get the 4 points on your drivers record... you can expect the fine, but not the points. If the U.S. can't get itself to communicate in it's own multi-state initiatives, what are the chances it works across country lines?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
New York and Ontario seem to have a special relationship for some reason. I believe the violation will go on your record. Points depend on how Ontario assigns points for the same violation. NY and Ontario directly report traffic convictions to each other.

The fine should be about $190 including the state surcharge. But the judge may impose a higher minimum.

asiny

New York and Ontario seem to have a special relationship for some reason. I believe the violation will go on your record. Points depend on how Ontario assigns points for the same violation. NY and Ontario directly report traffic convictions to each other.

The fine should be about $190 including the state surcharge. But the judge may impose a higher minimum.
Just when you think you get the jurisdictional communication lines... BAM! :D

You Are Guilty

Strictly speaking, this is a Canadian law question. That said, Ontario has deals with several border states, NY included, to report violations back and forth:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/demerit.shtml
Drivers convicted of a driving related offence in the State of New York, the State of Michigan or any Canadian province or territory, will have home jurisdictional penalties such as demerit points and/or suspensions applied to their Ontario driver record as if the offence occurred in Ontario.

Examples of out-of-province convictions where Ontario demerit points and /or suspensions will be applied include:

Traffic
Speeding
Fail to obey stop sign
Fail to obey signal light
Fail to stop for school bus
Racing
Fail to remain or return to the scene of a collision
Careless driving

Criminal
Motor manslaughter
Criminal negligence
Dangerous driving
Failure to remain at scene of a collision
Impaired Driving
Driving while disqualified or prohibited

The Ontario Registrar of Motor Vehicles is required to keep these records under Section 205 of the Highway Traffic Act and may use them for the purposes of administering the Ministry's Demerit Point System. Inquiries should be directed to:

Licensing Administration Office
Ministry of Transportation
Main Floor, Building A
2680 Keele Street
Downsview, ON M3M 3E6

Tel: 416-235-2999 or 1-800-387-3445

For French enquiries, please call 1-800-387-3445.
As for cost, that depends on the particular court. But here's one overview:
The literal answer for a first conviction is that a New York speeding ticket costs between $45 and $600. For speeding 1 to 10 mph over the limit the range is $45 to $150. For speeding 11 mph to 30 mph, the range is $90 to $300. Finally, for speeding 31 mph or more, the range is $180 to $600. For a second speeding conviction, the maximum fine can be increased by up to $150 and for a third it can be increased by up to $375.

Of course, these ranges of fines do not include the $70 additional New York State surcharged imposed on all moving violations. Additionally it does not include the Driver Assessment Fee that is imposed on motorists who accumulate 6 or more points on their licenses. This fee is $300 for 6 points and $75 for every point above 6.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">