• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket in ny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Beng14

I recently got a ticket in ny city in queens for 21 over the speed limit I hired a lawyer and got it down to 20 over I am a CDL holder and want to know if there is any way to reduce the 4 points acquired whe I was found guilty I need help

FlyingRon

There's no way to get rid of the record of points after you are convicted, PERIOD. As a CDL holder, you can't even use PIRP to reduce them (though your insurer may give you premium credit for having done PIRP). You were lucky you were able to get anything reduced with a CDL. That's not supposed to happen. Either you are guilty or you aren't.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It's somewhat unusual to get a speed reduced in the TVB, but it does happen - usually for an attorney who is a regular.

What happens is that the judge agrees to toss the radar or lidar out and go with the officer's speed estimation minus his tolerance. I am guessing that the officer estimated the speed at 25 over and the radar/lidar confirmed the estimation at 21 over. The officer had an accuracy of +/- 5 mph, so the 25 over was reduced to 20 over. Not too many judges will agree to this.

As was pointed out, points cannot be removed or reduced, and if there was another infraction with points within 18 months of this one the OP will be subject to a Driver Responsibility Assessment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">