• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket - NY - Officer Inappropriate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NotGuilty28

Nassau County, NY

I was pulled over by a police officer and given my very first speeding ticket :( (no moving violations up to this point). I disagreed with the speed he said I was going but I didn't argue at all. I was very respectful to the officer but when he returned my information along with the ticket, he threw the papers at me and walked away. I'm not sure if this is considered assault, but it was certainly very nasty. By the time it took me to get the papers organized, he was back inside his vehicle. He turned off his lights and drove away, leaving me blocking half of a lane of traffic while traffic was approaching. This was a serious safety hazard, especially since it was at night.

I am upset with the speeding ticket and with his behaviour. I know I feel it was wrongful, but was there anything legally wrong about the situation? I would like to know if there is anything I can do that would result in his disciplinary action and also if this can be used to get the ticket dismissed since he might have had some alternate motive for writing me the ticket. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Nassau County, NY

I was pulled over by a police officer and given my very first speeding ticket :( (no moving violations up to this point). I disagreed with the speed he said I was going but I didn't argue at all. I was very respectful to the officer but when he returned my information along with the ticket, he threw the papers at me and walked away. I'm not sure if this is considered assault, but it was certainly very nasty. By the time it took me to get the papers organized, he was back inside his vehicle. He turned off his lights and drove away, leaving me blocking half of a lane of traffic while traffic was approaching. This was a serious safety hazard, especially since it was at night.

I am upset with the speeding ticket and with his behaviour. I know I feel it was wrongful, but was there anything legally wrong about the situation? I would like to know if there is anything I can do that would result in his disciplinary action and also if this can be used to get the ticket dismissed since he might have had some alternate motive for writing me the ticket. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
If you think the officers behavior was inappropriate then file a complaint. It won't get your ticket dismissed though.

las365

He turned off his lights and drove away, leaving me blocking half of a lane of traffic while traffic was approaching. This was a serious safety hazard, especially since it was at night.
You should have pulled over and parked safely out of the traffic lane to begin with.

NotGuilty28

You should have pulled over and parked safely out of the traffic lane to begin with.
Just for clarification...

First, when an officer puts on his lights, you pull over to let him pass. It wasn't obvious that he was pulling me over until he stopped behind me.

Second, there was no place to park safely. I pulled over as close to the curb as possilble but I was still blocking the lane.

NotGuilty28

If you think the officers behavior was inappropriate then file a complaint. It won't get your ticket dismissed though.
Thanks for the response..

To file the complaint, do I just go down to the precinct and tell them I want to file a complaint? Do you think this would work against me if I plea not guilty... I read that you don't want the cop to remember you if he has to show up in court.

Just Blue

Thanks for the response..

To file the complaint, do I just go down to the precinct and tell them I want to file a complaint? Do you think this would work against me if I plea not guilty... I read that you don't want the cop to remember you if he has to show up in court.
Has is occurred to you that the officer was abrupt due to an emergency call??

CdwJava

Yes it has.. and if that was the case, wouldn't he have kept his lights on? He turned them off before he pulled away.
The vast majority of calls do not permit the use of lights and sirens. In fact, very, very few do, but they still require an immediate response.

As for the complaint, yes, you go to the precinct and ask to make a personnel complaint about the officer's attitude. yes, that might make him remember you at court later on ... but, if he was out of line and you feel it should be brought to the attention of his superiors, than it is the right thing to do. Besides, when the case gets to court, he'll remember it was your license that he saw, your face matched the image on the license, and your signature generally matched the signature on the citation (or some such thing), so that issue is rather silly to worry about.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">