• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket from NY State Police 87 in a 65 out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EricM6472

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Connecticut (Ticket recieved in Elizabethtown, NY)

I was on my way to Canada going up I-87, when a NY State trooper stopped me for going 87mph in a 65mph zone. I sent the ticket in not guilty and got my court date, I'd like to know what I can expect in court, if I have a chance to get the charges dropped or a reduced fine. I'm also not exactly clear on how the points system works between CT and NY, what are the points that would transfer?

Thanks in Advance,
- Eric

bluepants

The first court date you get is usually the date of arraignment. There often times you will get to plea bargain down to a lesser charge for a lesser fine and most people just accept that. Note that the person offering you the plea bargain is the prosecuting attorney. So anything you tell him he can use against you. E.g. a lot of people say 'well i was only going 70 mph in the 65mph zone.' That's already admitting guilt.

If you are like the selected few who really want to fight the ticket, just ask for a trial date. Then ask to get copies of both sides of the prosecutor's copy of the ticket! If you do not know the method the officer used to obtain your speed, ask the prosecutor then or earlier.

IMHO, you should ALWAYS fight the ticket. Right now only 1% of all people ever challenge their ticket. If 10% of all people challenges their ticket then the court would be overwhelmed and it would become way too costly for them to rip people off in the highway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">