• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket & Ohio License w/ KS-registered Car on KS Turnpike I-35

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bones96

What is the name of your state? Kansas

Summary
Ticketed in Wellington, KS on I-35N (Kansas Turnpike, just before the toll portion) for 90mph in a 70. My car is registered in KS, but I had a OH license, so I was cited for that as well (I did get a KS license this morning, though it's too late). My only excuse is that my speedometer is broken - I thought I was going more like 83. There were no other cars around to help me judge my speed. I desparately need to get this off my record for insurance purposes. I have no other tickets since high school (I graduated in 1996). I need to keep this from hitting my insurance.

Full Story
Last night I was 20min from Wichita, KS on I-35N (Kansas Turnpike, just before the toll portion) on the way back from Houston when I got pulled over going 90 in a 70 (instant on, my radar detector was useless). I lived in OH for a while and I have neglected to change back to a KS license. Stupid me. Guess what? That's a misdemeanor in KS, according to the ticket. I had no idea and I am flipping out. I *do not* want this on my record. I can barely afford my insurance as it is.

Here is the info on the ticket:
*"Speeding" and "Radar" are both circled. It's marked an alleged speed of 90 w/ the legal speed being 70.
*Under "Other Violations" it says "M N SAME," and the 'N' is circled. It also says something about "Title Issue Date."
*The 2 violations are 8-1558 for the speeding (marked "infraction") and 8-235 for the license (marked "misdemeanor")
*This was in Wellington, KS (Sumner County)
*I'm not sure if this was a State Trooper or what - I'll need to check on that (although I'm not sure how to do that)

I'm so angry at myself because I don't usually speed like that. I haven't had a ticket since I was in high school (graduated in '96). I know it's a bad excuse, but it was the tail-end of a 9-hr trip that got stretched to 10 b/c of horrible traffic in Dallas. Also, my speedometer doesn't work. I honestly thought that I was not going much over 80. I told him that my speedo didn't work but he didn't care. I didn't admit to the speed he accused me of - I just told him I didn't think I was going that fast. Of course, I have no defense against the license thing. I should have got a KS license a long time ago. So I picked one up this morning, but too late I guess. I told the officer that I lived in OH for an internship, but he informed me that it's based on vehicle registration status, not state residence. He had already written the ticket, so it didn't matter what I said to him. :(

If anybody can give me some accurate advice I would be very appreciative. I know I'll probably end up paying the fine and that's okay I guess - I just don't want it on my record like this. I can go to court and hope the officer doesn't show, but if he does I have no defense. I've already checked the ticket for accuracy and it has no problems, unfortunately. I've heard people talk about "diversions," but I'm not familiar since it's been so long since my last ticket. What are my options here? -tim

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">