• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket outcome?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cflo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
I'm 17 years old, and I received a reckless driving ticket for speeding in VA. I was going 82 in a 55, this is my first ticket, my driving record is clean, I have no criminal record in or out of school, I'm supposed to move into my dorm a few days after the case, and I've taken a driving class and received 5 safe driving points. I'm just wondering if anyone has a guess on what they think is likely to happen, and if they think jail time is likely. Thank you. I was also wondering if you think an attorney is a necessity, or if I can go by myself.

FlyingRon

At 82 MPH and no exacerbating things like racing or evading involved, jail time is unlikely. You'll get a pretty hefty fine, costs, and points. With a clean record the judge will may waive the fine (but no the costs). The bad thing is that this is a misdemeanor and you will get a criminal record for the guilty conviction. Each GDC is a bit different but often you can get the charge dismissed or reduced, but it's not something you're just going to pop in and say "I want it dismissed" with reliability. You should consult a lawyer who practices in the court you are summonsed in and see if he thinks he can do something for you. He may even be able to appear for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">